Using the USRP1 for GOES LRIT reception

Hello all.
I’m a bit of a noobie and getting my feet wet here. I hope to use my
recently received USRP1 to receive the GOES weather satellite LRIT data
using software from their site.
(here: http://www.goes-r.gov/hrit_emwin/index.html )
First, I was wondering if there was anyone else out there interested
in/doing the same.
Second, I loaded up the software and followed the included directions
(setting environment variables, etc) but it seems that the firmware
wouldn’t load up. (the USRP1 is installed and recognized by windows,
though)
Here is the output:

--------------------------------------------------C:\Program Files\HRIT
Radio>emwinr

Tracking LIVE SATELLITE
Using ETTUS BOX

The current date is 09/05/10
The current time is 12:14:00
Clock.Frequency: 64.0 MHz

ACQ-Engine ENABLED

Can’t find firmware: std_Aerospace.ihx
PATH= C:\Program Files\HRIT Radio

way.
Please contact the application’s support team for more information.

C:\Program Files\HRIT Radio>
---------------------------------------------------As an FYI, the
required firmware (std_Aerospace.ihx) is in this directory and has the
exact same spelling.
So, if anyone can offer some insight that would be cool. I’ll also be
asking the developers and update this list if I hear anything.
Regards,
Mike

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Michael K. [email protected]
wrote:

[...]

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application’s support team for more information.

C:\Program Files\HRIT Radio>
---------------------------------------------------As an FYI, the required firmware (std_Aerospace.ihx) is in this directory and has the exact same spelling.
So, if anyone can offer some insight that would be cool. I’ll also be asking the developers and update this list if I hear anything.

I took a peek at the receiver code. Since it reuses the USRP code from
GNURadio the following should apply. Assuming that you have the
USRP_PATH environment variable set, the firmware file should be in
USRP_PATH\rev4\ and not in the base directory specified by the
variable.

Tom

Thanks a MILLION, Tom.
I did as you said and created a directory under c:\Program Files\Hrit
Radio called “\rev4” and copied the files std_Aerospace.ihx and
std_2rxhb_2tx.rfb into it (I guess I could have moved them also).
Everything fired up and and seemed to be working. I’ll know when I
connect the dish antenna later today (hopefully). Thanks again!
(FYI…I added the above because it took me a moment to figure out what
you meant so I figured I’d put it in painful detail.)
Best regards,

  • Mike

Hi Michael,

We have a GOES 11 setup using USRP1 and have been able to decode EMWIN
data
using the software you mentioned.
The station is located at Los Alamitos and run by Jerry Martes.

It is possible to login to the LA computer using VNC and control it in
any
way you want.
The primary dish is pointed at GOES 11 and the secondary is poining at
AMC-4
(NOAAPORT).

Please contact a person in this email for further instructions
(passwords
etc)

Patrik

[...]

Discuss-gnuradio mailing list