Use of a "bulletin board" system in lieu of a mailing-list discussion


Discuss-gnuradio mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnuradio

Dan,
Other than the difficulty of setting up and maintaining the site, I
think
it’s a fabulous idea!
Then again, I’m just as new as you are, but in general I think it would
be
way better. Especially for new folks jumping in and learning all the
past
body of knowledge.
-William

On 09/02/2010 10:47 AM, Dan H. wrote:

Hello, all.

OK, I know I’m just the “new guy” here, and it may be poor form to
suggest that a well established forum should change its ways…

But I find the email-based discussion list VERY inefficient.

A lot of people on here seem to use Nabble which provides the bulletin
board interface. The mailing list already has search and archive
features, as do Nabble and Google.

On a more philosophical note, I think a mailing list better encourages
participation and community. For example, if everyone only looked at
the forum when they had a question that they were hoping to have
answered, then there would never be anybody there to answer them.

Matt

On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 01:47:34PM -0400, Dan H. wrote:

Hello, all.

OK, I know I’m just the “new guy” here, and it may be poor form to
suggest that a well established forum should change its ways…

:slight_smile:

But I find the email-based discussion list VERY inefficient.

  • any sense of “threading” of a conversation is lost (at least for
    me: I receive the “digest” version.)
  • if there is a way for me to “search” for my issue in “prior
    threads”, I haven’t found it yet. (Maybe I’m missing it… or
    maybe it doesn’t exist)

Google works for me:

gnuradio +

gets me one of the N mailing list archives, where the messages are
threaded.

  • email arrives even on days when I’m not focusing on my GNU radio projects.

Gee, that sounds like your mail handling tools suck.

I’d suggest the non-digest format, and have your MUA automatically
put the messages into a folder that you only look at when you care
about GNU Radio. I’m assuming that your MUA can sort out the
threading.

Is there any interest in considering a shift to it or something similar?
Who knows? You can of course subscribe an address that gets
gateway’d to where ever you like.

Yes, it would need: a physical host, effort to set it up, an admin
(for membership issues), and a panel moderators (to edit / move
threads when necessary). And maybe the cost of the software.

I understand that if there is a lack of interest (to participate),
or if no one is available to set it up, it won’t happen. If so:
/c’est la vie/… However, I just wanted to float the idea in case
there is general interest and the right set of volunteers.

– Dan H.

Thanks for the suggestion and the links.

Eric

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Douglas G.
[email protected] wrote:

2.) I do see the value of some of the more recent Q&A type websites.
In particular I’ll point to stackoverflow (and the related
stackexchange set of websites) as an excellent repository of knowledge
that excels at building a community. Although, while there are a few
questions tagged [gnuradio] on stackoverflow, I don’t think it has
caught on as a place to ask DSP/comms/gnuradio related programming
questions.

There’s a new stackexchange group forming specific to amateur radio.
It’s in the pre-beta phases now, gathering a supportive community.

Anyone interested in this sort of Q&A web site can check this out here:

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/1795/amateur-radio

The FAQ link at the top of the page has good information about the
formation process for these groups.

Steve Conklin, AI4QR

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Matt E. [email protected] wrote:

interface. The mailing list already has search and archive features, as do
Nabble and Google.

On a more philosophical note, I think a mailing list better encourages
participation and community. For example, if everyone only looked at the
forum when they had a question that they were hoping to have answered, then
there would never be anybody there to answer them.

Matt

I generally agree with Matt’s comments, but I’ll add two things:
1.) The Wiki is there to be a more permanent repository of knowledge
(i.e. something that’s easy to reference vs. the ‘conversational’
style of the mailing list)

2.) I do see the value of some of the more recent Q&A type websites.
In particular I’ll point to stackoverflow (and the related
stackexchange set of websites) as an excellent repository of knowledge
that excels at building a community. Although, while there are a few
questions tagged [gnuradio] on stackoverflow, I don’t think it has
caught on as a place to ask DSP/comms/gnuradio related programming
questions.

In any event, I personally still see lots of value in participating
the mailing list, but figured I’d throw out the fact that there are
already some other options to look for information.
Doug

–
Doug G.
[email protected]