Upgrading to JRuby 1.7.1 on Torquebox with MySQL

I generated a new Torquebox Rails app and copied my app into the
hierarchy.

I did a bundle install after all gems were added to the Gemfile and now
it looks like webrick pukes when attempting to load the mysql driver:

ActiveRecord::JDBCError: The driver encountered an unknown error: cannot
load Java class com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
initialize at
/home/jim/bin/torquebox-2.2.0/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/shared/gems/activerecord-jdbc-adapter-1.2.2.1/lib/arjdbc/jdbc/connection.rb:91
initialize at
/home/jim/bin/torquebox-2.2.0/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/shared/gems/activerecord-jdbc-adapter-1.2.2.1/lib/arjdbc/jdbc/adapter.rb:33
initialize at
/home/jim/bin/torquebox-2.2.0/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/shared/gems/activerecord-jdbc-adapter-1.2.2.1/lib/arjdbc/mysql/adapter.rb:465
jdbc_connection at
/home/jim/bin/torquebox-2.2.0/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/shared/gems/activerecord-jdbc-adapter-1.2.2.1/lib/arjdbc/jdbc/connection_methods.rb:6
mysql_connection at
/home/jim/bin/torquebox-2.2.0/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/shared/gems/activerecord-jdbc-adapter-1.2.2.1/lib/arjdbc/mysql/connection_methods.rb:19
send at
org/jruby/RubyBasicObject.java:1665
send at
org/jruby/RubyKernel.java:2090

I am loading:

gem ‘activerecord-jdbc-adapter’
gem ‘activerecord-jdbcmysql-adapter’

in my Gemfile.

I’m using the JRuby from the Torquebox install as my default system
Ruby. (well, JRuby actually, I nuked RVM so now I need to type “jruby
-S” before all my commands)

Is anyone else using MySQL with the latest JRuby, Rails and Torquebox?
Anyone else got it working?

-Jim

Interesting problem

I created a new Rails app that used MySQL and the gems you used, and
when I tried to run rails console, I got the same error that you did.

I looked into the gem’s directory tree for the JDBC jar file, set the
classpath to include it, and then it worked:

CLASSPATH=/Users/keithb/.rvm/gems/jruby-1.7.1/gems/jdbc-mysql-5.1.22/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.22.jar
rails console
Loading development environment (Rails 3.2.9)
jruby-1.7.1 :001 >

I realize this shouldn’t be necessary, but it may be a step in the right
direction. Having the gem in the Gemfile makes it available to the
application, but what actually loads (or requires) it at runtime? Maybe
answering this question would lead us to the solution.

I guess until we figure it out, you could just do the same CLASSPATH
hack and it might work.

  • Keith

Keith R. Bennett
http://about.me/keithrbennett

Putting gem ‘jdbc-mysql’, ‘5.1.13’ in your Gemfile should fix the error.
The issue is because of an incompatibility between the new jdbc-* gems
and the version of activerecord-jdbc-adapter that is out. You can find
more discussion about the issue here:
https://github.com/jruby/activerecord-jdbc-adapter/pull/284

At this point the issue is well understood and we’re just waiting for
someone to yank the incompatible gems and to merge the fix.

Confirmed, this worked for me. Thanks!

This seems like a significant problem that could discourage JRuby
adoption and make JRubyists less productive. What’s up with this
incompatibility? Is it a challenging issue, technically? Or are the
authors/contributors too busy with other things? I don’t mean to be
critical, I know I’m not contributing to the solution, but I’m curious.

  • Keith

Keith R. Bennett
http://about.me/keithrbennett

If you’re new to JRuby adoption, I gotta tell ya… this is kinda par
for the course. I don’t mean to sound discouraging at all as I feel we
have some of the smartest minds working on the issues, and I LOVE
working with this stack. But, I also think there are so many plates
spinning in the air, that the JRuby developers alone can’t truly address
all the issues. We have the JVM which runs JRuby, which runs Rails…
which uses myriad gems to accomplish many different goals.

I do feel the same way every time I go to update to some newer version
and get “Ruby Vomit” all over my console. There is a part of me that
says, “Can’t it just work… just once? Do I have to fight it every
time??? Could it be more like other stacks that just seem to work???”

It’ll get better… but we need to remember that we’re working with an
amazing “work in progress”. Cheers to the people that make it happen!

Alex -

Do you know what the status of this is? I did a little research but
am still a bit confused.

Thanks,
Keith

Using version 1.2.5 or greater of activerecord-jdbc-adapter should fix
this issue.

Alex T. wrote in post #1094675:

Using version 1.2.5 or greater of activerecord-jdbc-adapter should fix
this issue.

Unfortunately, this problem still persists. I’ve locked my gem version
at 1.2.2.1 (the last working version)

Alex T. wrote in post #1090606:

Putting gem ‘jdbc-mysql’, ‘5.1.13’ in your Gemfile should fix the error.
The issue is because of an incompatibility between the new jdbc-* gems
and the version of activerecord-jdbc-adapter that is out. You can find
more discussion about the issue here:
https://github.com/jruby/activerecord-jdbc-adapter/pull/284

Thanks, this got me past the error. Now to fight the others.

The recently TorqueBox 2.3.0 ships with distributed transaction support
disabled by default for databases which should get things working again
with ActiveRecord-JDBC 1.2.5.

If you’re on an older version of TorqueBox, try adding ‘xa: false’ to
your database.yml entry and things should work on AR-JDBC 1.2.5.

Ben

1.2.6 just came out yesterday but ruby gems is down for some reason ugh,
I’ll try it again when I can update

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs