Upgrading to 1.1 causes MySQL Lost Connections under WinXP


#1

Ok so I updated my rails to version 1.1 and now all of a sudden I keep
getting the dreaded “Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server
during query: SHOW FIELDS FROM …” I’ve read all the stuff on the net,
but none of it is working. I tried installing the mysql.so like
suggested here:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowToUseMySQLRubyBindingsOnWin32/

That sort of worked. I was able to get rails working a little bit, but
it eventually crashed with this:

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
way.
Please contact the application’s support team for more information.

I could open a couple of pages, but eventually it bombed out in the
middle of a request. I’m running Ruby 1.8.2, Rail 1.1, and MySQL 5.0.18
on WinXP machine. Actually I’ve tried it on two different machines I
still get the same problem. Prior to upgrading I was using Rails 0.14
and it worked great. It was only after I upgraded to 1.1 did this MySQL
problem start.

I also should mention I tried reseting the passwords so they don’t use
the old_password hash algorithm. I had read somwhere that the old style
passwords could cause this problem too. But, that doesn’t seem to be
the issue.

Thanks
Charlie


#2

2006/3/30, Charlie removed_email_address@domain.invalid:

Ok so I updated my rails to version 1.1 and now all of a sudden I keep
getting the dreaded “Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server
during query: SHOW FIELDS FROM …” I’ve read all the stuff on the net,
but none of it is working. I tried installing the mysql.so like
suggested here:

Same issue here. 1.8.2, Rails Edge, haven’t touched the mysql.so at
all, and MySQL 4.0.12-nt. I think this is related to the
allow_concurrency changes in 1.1.

Sorry I can’t provide you with more information. If you run Rails
from svn:externals, you could try going back in time to see if
pre-allow_concurrency would change things for you.

If you don’t know how to set your svn:externals, try rake
rails:freeze:edge REVISION=?

You’ll have to find the appropriate revision using the Timeline:
http://dev.rubyonrails.org/timeline

If you get any results, please post back here.

Hope that helps !


#3

François Beausoleil wrote:

2006/3/30, Charlie removed_email_address@domain.invalid:

Ok so I updated my rails to version 1.1 and now all of a sudden I keep
getting the dreaded “Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server
during query: SHOW FIELDS FROM …” I’ve read all the stuff on the net,
but none of it is working. I tried installing the mysql.so like
suggested here:

Same issue here. 1.8.2, Rails Edge, haven’t touched the mysql.so at
all, and MySQL 4.0.12-nt. I think this is related to the
allow_concurrency changes in 1.1.

Sorry I can’t provide you with more information. If you run Rails
from svn:externals, you could try going back in time to see if
pre-allow_concurrency would change things for you.

I’m pretty green with Rails so this is starting to get over my head, but
I tried looking at the timeline. I did a search and nothing came up for
“pre-allow_concurrency” so I’m stuck. I didn’t see it in there. I
guess I’ll give it the weekend and see if anyone else can make some
headway on this.

Charlie


#4

Charlie,
Give ruby 1.8.4 a shot, I’m running a similar configuration on a
windows box and the only difference seems to be ruby versions.
–mark

Charlie wrote:

François Beausoleil wrote:

2006/3/30, Charlie removed_email_address@domain.invalid:

Ok so I updated my rails to version 1.1 and now all of a sudden I keep
getting the dreaded “Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server
during query: SHOW FIELDS FROM …” I’ve read all the stuff on the net,
but none of it is working. I tried installing the mysql.so like
suggested here:


sic transit gloria et adulescentia
blog | http://blog.hasno.info/blog
wiki | http://wiki.hasno.info


#5

Charlie wrote:

Ok so I updated my rails to version 1.1 and now all of a sudden I keep
getting the dreaded “Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server
during query: SHOW FIELDS FROM …” I’ve read all the stuff on the net,
but none of it is working. I tried installing the mysql.so like
suggested here:

I had a similar problem… fixed it by going in and editing my
database.yml file under the config directory. I relpaced all potential
tab characters (erring on the side of caution) with spaces and made sure
there was at least one space after each colon (like host: localhost
rather than host:localhost). Everything went fine after that.

good luck.
joe