I am faced with a unique RoR design Issue and thought of getting some
advice on how go about this requirement.
I need to:
Create a web application to
- login / Logout/ Manage Users
- Register queries with boundaries for reporting.
- Work flow engine to ensure BP
- Scheduler to execute jobs on Legacy DB
- Get Transactions from Legacy DB and store in application DB.
- Once approved, send email reports with Transactions.
- Store transaction data from Legacy DB to application DB - back up
- Application users will be able to search queries and have a look
- Transaction data is not needed to be shown from the Web GUI though.
I am stuck here.
- Read from Legacy table(s)
- Store transactions from legacy table into application table for later
What is the best way to read from legacy Oracle Tables which are
partitioned and Massive. What are the issues here as the legacy table
structure is unique and does not cater to RoR standards.
Can i use Ruby gems to fire “SQL select” and use RoR migration technique
to store results in to applicate table? Is that even possible? Or
should i create views in my application DB first and just do plain
reading from them?
I am not sure how to go about rading from legacy first, storing the
search results into application data!
Any inputs will be appreciated.