Unicode roadmap?

In my opinion, Ruby is practically useless for many applications without
proper Unicode support. How a modern language can ignore this issue is
really beyond me.

Is there a plan to get Unicode support into the language anytime soon?

Hi,

In message “Re: Unicode roadmap?”
on Wed, 14 Jun 2006 06:13:03 +0900, Roman H.
[email protected] writes:
|In my opinion, Ruby is practically useless for many applications without
|proper Unicode support. How a modern language can ignore this issue is
|really beyond me.

Define “proper Unicode support” first.

|Is there a plan to get Unicode support into the language anytime soon?

I’m planning enhancing Unicode support in 1.9 in a year or so
(finally). But I’m not sure that conforms your definition of “proper
Unicode support”. Note that 1.8 handles Unicode (UTF-8) if your
string operations are based on Regexp.

						matz.

On Jun 13, 2006, at 6:34 PM, Pete wrote:

Define “proper Unicode support” first.

having an unicode-equivalent for all methods of class String

like size, slice, upcase

E.g. I tried the unicode plugin… but, alas, who want’s to write
stuff like ‘normalize_KC’ etc. if you just want the frickin’
substring of a string?!

def substring(str, start, len)
md = str.match(/\A.{#{start}}(.{#{len}})/)
md[1]
end

def strlength(str)
n = 0
str.gsub(/./m) { n += 1; $& }

See! Regexps do everything!

Just you know, set $KCODE and use these methods and you are set!

(I am kidding… btw)

Define “proper Unicode support” first.

having an unicode-equivalent for all methods of class String

like size, slice, upcase

E.g. I tried the unicode plugin… but, alas, who want’s to write stuff
like ‘normalize_KC’ etc. if you just want the frickin’ substring of a
string?!

you need to read books on unicode just to properly use the plugin…

aargg :-((

Best regards
Peter

Yukihiro M. schrieb:

From the theoretical point of view this is quite interesting. Also I
understand the humor :slight_smile:

Performance and memory consumption should be breathtaking using regexp
just everywhere…

Also there are a few methods left :slight_smile:

As I am German the ‘missing’ unicode support is one of the greatest
obstacles for me (and probably all other Germans doing their stuff
seriously)…