Understanding Ruby on Rails

Hi,

I’m currently trying to learn Ruby without even trying to look at RoR
just yet thinking that I should first have a solid fundamentals on Ruby
I hope on the right path, the thing is that I was also learning PHP and
MySQL and I was wondering that if I learn RoR after learning Ruby I
might not need PHP since according to what I have heard with RoR I could
do anything PHP is capable of, correct.

1- If I learn RoR is there a reason why I would need PHP? If there isn’t
I
want to concentrate in learning RoR and not PHP.

2- Is RoR a lot harder than PHP?

3- Can RoR do everything PHP can do?

4- Is RoR 100% compatible with MySQL? In other words can RoR interact
with
MySQL like in PHP?

Thanks a lot!

I’m currently trying to learn Ruby without even trying to look at RoR
just yet thinking that I should first have a solid fundamentals on Ruby
I hope on the right path,

This sounds like a good idea to me. Rails will make a lot more sense if
you have some Ruby under your belt.

the thing is that I was also learning PHP and
MySQL and I was wondering that if I learn RoR after learning Ruby I
might not need PHP since according to what I have heard with RoR I could
do anything PHP is capable of, correct.

You might not need PHP… I haven’t used it in several years. Unless
you have a project that requires it for some other reason such as IT
mandate…

If I learn RoR is there a reason why I would need PHP? If there isn’t I
want to concentrate in learning RoR and not PHP.

if you are just starting out… Learn ruby then rails then PHP if you
want to…

Is RoR a lot harder than PHP?

I don’t think so. But remember that rails is an entire framework. PHP
isn’t… So really the question is… Is ruby harder than PHP. IMHO
ruby is a lot easier. It’s a very nice language.

Can RoR do everything PHP can do?

No, but Ruby can. I’m sure someone could find some case where that
isn’t true, but it’s probably not critical. Ah… Here’s one… I don’t
think you can run ruby/rails on Microsofts IIS web server and you can
with PHP… But… I wouldn’t do that with PHP even though I can!

Is RoR 100% compatible with MySQL? In other words can RoR interact with
MySQL like in PHP?

Sure. That’s not quite a valid question and neither is my answer, but
it’s correct enough. Ruby has libraries for interacting with mysql that
work fine. Rails, through active record, works with mysql just fine
too.

Thanks a lot!

No problem. Welcome aboard!

  • Philip

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Fily S. [email protected]
wrote:

Hi,

I’m currently trying to learn Ruby without even trying to look at RoR
just yet thinking that I should first have a solid fundamentals on Ruby
I hope on the right path, the thing is that I was also learning PHP and
MySQL and I was wondering that if I learn RoR after learning Ruby I
might not need PHP since according to what I have heard with RoR I could
do anything PHP is capable of, correct.

correct

If I learn RoR is there a reason why I would need PHP? If there isn’t I
want to concentrate in learning RoR and not PHP.

correct

Is RoR a lot harder than PHP?

nothing is easier than rails for web development

Can RoR do everything PHP can do?

and much more… but since php is so mature there are much more
libraries
out there already that do a lot

Is RoR 100% compatible with MySQL? In other words can RoR interact with
MySQL like in PHP?

completelly

Thanks a lot!

If you have ever programmed in any language you dont need to learn ruby
to
use rails, you will mostly use simple programming concept at the
beginning
and you can learn anything else as you learn rails.

The thing about ruby is that is like c# mixed with basic mixed with c++,
let me explain that.

everything is an object like in c# so you can do this

5.to_s

as you see and integer is not a simple data type is really and object
and
has its methods and everything “inside”, same with this

“hello there”.split(" ")

the string “hello there” is also an object and has its methods and
properties.

ruby is also like c++ and basic in the sense that you can any a sintax
that
resembles to both of them, this is confusing at first but at the end is
convenient, here is an example.

puts “hello”

and

puts(“hello”)

one like in basic with the spaces passing the method parameter and one
like
in c++ with parentesis passing the paremeter, block are flexible too,
look

5.times {

puts “hello”

}

like in c++ is the same as

5.times do

puts “hello”

end

as in basic.

You wont need much more than that to start creating you first rails app.

On Mar 17, 12:40pm, Fily S. [email protected] wrote:

Any good tutorials or books about Ruby or Ruby on Rails?
Books

http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby/programming-ruby
http://pragprog.com/titles/rails4/agile-web-development-with-rails

Tutorials
http://railscasts.com/

Best of luck

Paul

Thank you both for the good info!

It looks like I’m in the right track, so I will continue learning Ruby
and later on I will jump into Rails.

The other reason I want to have a good understanding about Ruby is to
have the ability to create desktop apps, and as you mentioned it the
language just seams clear and with a nice syntax, that’s why after
reading a tutorial called “Learn How to Program” I decided to give it a
try and bought a book and have read some other online tutorials.

Any good tutorials or books about Ruby or Ruby on Rails?

I was looking at Lynda.com and I might subscribe but I also need a book.

Thanks A LOT!

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 8:40 AM, Fily S. [email protected]
wrote:

Thank you both for the good info!

It looks like I’m in the right track, so I will continue learning Ruby
and later on I will jump into Rails.

The other reason I want to have a good understanding about Ruby is to
have the ability to create desktop apps,

no, ruby is not good for desktop apps, since is slow and if you compile
it,
it looses some of its advantages.

Paul Hollyer wrote in post #987913:

http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby/programming-ruby
http://pragprog.com/titles/rails4/agile-web-development-with-rails

Tutorials
http://railscasts.com/

Best of luck

Paul

Thank you for the links

no, ruby is not good for desktop apps, since is slow and if you compile it,
it looses some of its advantages.

Wow! I knew that it was slow but I thought that was the only issue which
to me its not a big deal since I will be creating small apps. Also I
thought it was its (original) main purpose to be used for computer apps.

Can you explain this a little bit more?

Thanks

On Mar 17, 2011, at 9:37 AM, Fily S. wrote:

Paul
thought it was its (original) main purpose to be used for computer
apps.

Can you explain this a little bit more?

It is used quite a lot for scripting on the command-line, similar to
what chef does for deployment. Several of the guys in my local RUG are
big into automating processes with it, using it as the glue code to
tie a bunch of other applications together, similar to AppleScript on
the desktop. There is also a MacRuby bridge which lets you write Mac
desktop apps in Ruby. My invoicing software (ProfitTrain from
http://clickablebliss.com
) was written in it. Depends a lot on what you’re using it for. You
probably wouldn’t want to write Photoshop in it, for example.

Walter

On Mar 16, 10:11pm, Philip H. [email protected] wrote:

Can RoR do everything PHP can do?

No, but Ruby can. I’m sure someone could find some case where that isn’t true,
but
it’s probably not critical. Ah… Here’s one… I don’t think you can run
ruby/rails
on Microsofts IIS web server and you can with PHP… But… I wouldn’t do that
with PHP
even though I can!

There’s a FastCGI interface for IIS, so one could technically run
Rails on IIS with it - in the same sense that one could technically go
skinny-dipping in the Antarctic.

For that matter, there’s always things like phuby (https://github.com/
tenderlove/phuby) if one simply must run PHP…

–Matt J.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Fily S. [email protected]
wrote:

Paul

Can you explain this a little bit more?

Well, ruby is never compiled, you can use it to build command line tools
or
wrappers around fast c++ libraries.
One benefit of been scripted is that is can evaluate its own code on run
time which allows for neat tricks like the ones active record uses to
create
dynamic finders. Is not so slow that is useless, but it cant be compared
to
C++. But the flexibility it offers makes it great for programmers and
on
the web the speed does not show when you compare it to network lag.

The other reason I want to have a good understanding about Ruby is to
have the ability to create desktop apps,

no, ruby is not good for desktop apps, since is slow and if you compile it, it
looses some of its advantages.

Maybe… maybe not. If your app doesn’t require any speed it’s probably
fine. Say, a DNS manager that updates a remote service via some API.
99% of the effort is going to be waiting/sending to the server.

If you’re interested in this, might be worth checking out…

http://www.macruby.org/ (and
http://ofps.oreilly.com/titles/9781449380373/)
http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl
http://ruby4kids.com/ruby4kids (uses gosu game library on mac for games)
http://shoesrb.com/

I’m sure there are others, but those are the ones I know about…

Thank you all very much for your help!

Is anybody here that uses Ruby mainly for desktop apps that could share
his/her experiences?

Sorry if I deviated from a RoR thread to a Ruby debate

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Fily S. [email protected]
wrote:

Thank you all very much for your help!

Is anybody here that uses Ruby mainly for desktop apps that could share
his/her experiences?

Sorry if I deviated from a RoR thread to a Ruby debate

I use ruby to interact with asterisk api. makes everything easier, but
you
cant for example build asterisk on ruby, since is a real time app and
uses
DSP a lot. Other than that my experience is related to Rails

Any good tutorials or books about Ruby or Ruby on Rails?

http://www.humblelittlerubybook.com/
http://www.rubyflow.com/ (great organizer of blog/article/tips)

I mean, that the better way to learning is to continue in PHP and then
start with RoR. If you have some experience with PHP, try to be able
work in that and write in that web apps.
You will learn some programming practices and other programming language
will not a problem… Plus PHP have a quick curve learning…

RoR is not a programming language, but it’s a framework.

You wrote you would like to write a desktop application… I’m newbie in
Ruby/RoR, but that are tools for building web applications… I think
for this will totally better languages like C/C++ or Java…

I see I have other view on this theme than a colleagues, but try
everything and you’ll see, what will be for you the best :slight_smile:

Thank you for your comments!

Well, it looks like I miss-understood when I read that Ruby was designed
to be a general programming language, also I thought it was since they
often compare it to Java, C++, and mainly Python. Anyway I will give it
a try, the language has a very clear syntax that no one can resist to
learn it, plus RoR is a big reason.

One last question, if someone would to ask you why you USE or why you
SHOULD use Ruby over PHP, Java or Python what would you say?

Thanks a lot!

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Fily S. [email protected]
wrote:

Thank you for your comments!

Well, it looks like I miss-understood when I read that Ruby was designed
to be a general programming language, also I thought it was since they
often compare it to Java, C++, and mainly Python. Any way I will give it
a try, the language has a very clear syntax that no one can resist to
learn it, plus RoR is a big reason.

Ruby is a general purpose programming language. It is interpreted, as
are
Python and PHP, which means that compiled languages, like C or C++ or
Java,
will be faster. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t be used to write desktop
applications, just that you probably wouldn’t choose it to write a 3D
graphics engine.

(fwiw, PHP is not a general purpose language; it’s designed to be used
on
the web).

One last question, if someone would to ask you why you USE or why you
SHOULD use Ruby over PHP, Java or Python what would you say?

You *should *use Ruby if you enjoy programming with it. You can’t know
that
unless you spend some time using it.

Well, it looks like I miss-understood when I read that Ruby was designed
to be a general programming language,

It is a general programming language.

One last question, if someone would to ask you why you USE or why you
SHOULD use Ruby over PHP, Java or Python what would you say?

Reason #1: http://pjkh.com/articles/2009/11/13/ruby-in-a-nutshell
Reason #2: http://pastefree.pjkh.com/pastes/150

Neither reason above is very serious, but there’s always some truth in
humor right? :slight_smile:

-philip

Thank you all very much!

Reason #1: http://pjkh.com/articles/2009/11/13/ruby-in-a-nutshell
Reason #2: http://pastefree.pjkh.com/pastes/150

Neither reason above is very serious, but there’s always some truth in
humor right? :slight_smile:

-philip

I like the first one, thanks a lot for your help!

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs