Ultraviolet 0.9.0 Released


#1

I have the pleasure to announce the first public release of ultraviolet.

http://ultraviolet.rubyforge.org

Ultraviolet is a syntax highlighting library and engine. It
uses TextMate[http://macromates.com/] syntax files and parses
them using the Textpow[http://textpow.rubyforge.org] library. It
supports more than 60 programming languages out of the box.
Currently Ultraviolet supports (x)html output and latex output is on
the works.

Dizan V.


#2

On 5/12/07, Dizan V. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

I have the pleasure to announce the first public release of ultraviolet.

http://ultraviolet.rubyforge.org

Ultraviolet is a syntax highlighting library and engine. It
uses TextMate[http://macromates.com/] syntax files and parses
them using the Textpow[http://textpow.rubyforge.org] library. It
supports more than 60 programming languages out of the box.
Currently Ultraviolet supports (x)html output and latex output is on
the works.

Sweet!

I would like to have some integration with VIM.

Which text editor do you use?


#3

On 5/18/07, Felipe C. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

the works.

Sweet!

I would like to have some integration with VIM.

Which text editor do you use?

Judging on what he says, I’d be willing to be that he’s using
textmate. Quite popular with the ruby community, but right now it
only runs on Mac.

There are quite a few vim extensions for ruby. Here’ are some that I
found to give you a start;
http://del.icio.us/rdenatale/vimruby

For syntax highlighting any fairly recent vim installation should
include ruby support.

John L., who designed the ruby-lang.org website has a vim syntax
file to make ruby code look pretty in vim.
http://wiseheartdesign.com/2006/03/11/ruby-blue-textmate-theme

This page is actually describing his later textmate version but if you
look near the end of the article before the comments, you’ll find a
link to his initial vim syntax file.


Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/


#4

On 5/18/07, Rick DeNatale removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

Currently Ultraviolet supports (x)html output and latex output is on
only runs on Mac.
http://wiseheartdesign.com/2006/03/11/ruby-blue-textmate-theme

This page is actually describing his later textmate version but if you
look near the end of the article before the comments, you’ll find a
link to his initial vim syntax file.

Yeah, I know, he told me about that, but I prefer more white
backgrounds.

Anyway, thanks for your del.icio.us links!

I was hoping to have some VIM extension where you could describe a
syntax file in Ruby, it might be crazy, but interesting.


#5

On 5/21/07, Dizan V. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

hey guys, sorry for being late to the party [ :wink: ], but… perhaps
what Felipe meant (or at least that’s what I am thinking of!!!) is a
sort of a translation from “textmate theme”, to “vim theme”…

oh yeah, I uh… I was on a vacation too!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

-jf


In the meantime, here is your PSA:
“It’s so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not
help.”
– Andrew Fear, Software Product Manager, NVIDIA Corporation
http://kerneltrap.org/node/7228


#6

Hi Felipe,

Sorry for answering so late, but I was on vacations. Regarding your
questions, oddly enough, I do not use textmate (I do not have a mac)
so I use mostly cream or kate. As for vim integration, well, I think
its somewhat different from the current project scope which is
directed to highlight static documentation (html, latex) more than to
implement a dynamic engine to be plugged into a text editor.

Dizan


#7

On 9/5/07, Jeffrey ‘jf’ Lim removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

Dizan

hey guys, sorry for being late to the party [ :wink: ], but… perhaps
what Felipe meant (or at least that’s what I am thinking of!!!) is a
sort of a translation from “textmate theme”, to “vim theme”…

Yeah, well I had different ideas and I guess I didn’t express myself
correctly. But yes, that’s one idea.

Everyone seems to be re-inventing the wheel when doing syntax
highlighting. A framework that can be used to generate vim themes
would be a good idea IMO.

Best regards.


#8

Felipe C. wrote:

Everyone seems to be re-inventing the wheel when doing syntax
highlighting. A framework that can be used to generate vim themes
would be a good idea IMO.

True enough. We are not being very DRY about such things, are we?