Typeout during RubyGems Install


#1

[Note: I’m reposting this to the mailing list since I think
the gateway was down when I posted through news:comp.lang.ruby]

Hello,

The NASA Open Source Agreement,

http://opensource.org/licenses/nasa1.3.php

that I’m being required to use, has a clause (3f) about at
least making an attempt to have the user register.

Is there a way to at least get a typeout during gem install?

For example,

$ sudo gem install -r funit
Attempting remote installation of ‘funit’
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Successfully installed fUnit-0.0.2

Registration appreciated – see http://funit.rubyforge.org <<
Installing RDoc documentation for fUnit-0.0.2…

Thanks,


#2

Bil K. wrote:

Is there a way to at least get a typeout during gem install?

There is no hook in RubyGems to allow this. Sorry.


– Jim W.


#3

On Apr 15, 2006, at 7:48 AM, Bil K. wrote:

$ sudo gem install -r funit
Attempting remote installation of ‘funit’
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Successfully installed fUnit-0.0.2

Registration appreciated – see http://funit.rubyforge.org <<
Installing RDoc documentation for fUnit-0.0.2…

I wonder if you could purposely introduce some kind of bug into your
RDoc that would provoke it to produce an error message that contained
some text with the link to the license. I can’t think of how to do it
though.


#4

On 4/15/06, Jim W. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

Bil K. wrote:

Is there a way to at least get a typeout during gem install?
There is no hook in RubyGems to allow this. Sorry.

I am really hoping that one can be provided for the next version of
RubyGems. Bil’s needs aren’t the only needs.

-austin


#5

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 08:48:43PM +0900, Bil K. wrote:

Hello,

The NASA Open Source Agreement,

http://opensource.org/licenses/nasa1.3.php

that I’m being required to use, has a clause (3f) about at
least making an attempt to have the user register.

Is there a way to at least get a typeout during gem install?

It is possible to abuse the support for building extensions in order
to show a message (or do anything else for the matter), by placing
arbitrary code in an extconf.rb file and creating a bogus Makefile (just
so that RubyGems sees it and doesn’t report an error)[1]. The code you
place in extconf.rb will often be run with euid=root.

[1] this assumes that make (or nmake on mswin builds) is available
unless you
change ENV[“make”]; otherwise, you could (ab)use the Rake support for
the same
ends.