For all folks out there near the Minneapolis/St Paul area, we’re
having our second RUG meeting next Tuesday, Jan 31st. Our homepage is
at www.twincitiesrb.com. I apologize for the spam to the Ruby-Talk
list, but this is just our second meeting and we’re trying to get word
out. Come join us!
If you would like to present something, we would be very happy to have
you, and free beers may follow! Contact me directly and I’ll put you
in touch with the appropriate folks.
Ok folks, we’re on for the second TC RUG meeting!
Date: January 31st, Tuesday
Venue: Digital River, in Eden Prairie, MN (directions below); wireless
- Announcements - please send me any announcements you want to share
with the group, or stand up when the time comes
- Introductions - we’ll go around again with some quick 10-second
intros, to help remind everyone of names and get new folks into the
- Outstanding RUG questions: group name? status of web site and
related services? status of non-profit work potential? We will
probably try to vote on a group name, so don’t complain if you miss
- Presentation #1: “JRuby: Bringing Ruby to the JVM” by Charles
Nutter and Thomas E.
We’ll try to make it relevant to both the Ruby and Java worlds, with
lots of cool demos and discussion time to follow. We’re the two active
members of the JRuby team, and JRuby is under heavy development ahead
of our JavaOne presentation.
- Breather/discussion time
- Presentation #2: WATIR demonstration by Nick S.
By popular demand, we finally pinned down a WATIR demo. Nick has
graciously volunteered to take this on.
- Conclusion and post-meeting discussion over beers
If anyone knows a good barley-pop venue in the Digital River area,
please share it. What good is a geekfest without a tasty beer to
Directions to Digital River (thanks again to Nick S. for hooking us
- There are two DR-owned buildings, one on the north side of 76th and
one on the south. We’re in the south (9625) building. at the
eastern-most door, by the large “Digital River” sign on the building
– this is the main lobby entrance. There will be a MINI (the car
brand) parked near the door.
- When you get inside, you’ll need to sign in and receive a “visitor”
- Proceed to the meeting – we’ll have a few folks from DR to help
you find the meeting room once in the building.
- When finished, you’ll need to go back through the lobby, drop off
your badge, and sign out.
If you think you will arrive late on the 31st please let me know or
send email to the group list, available on www.twincitiesrb.com.