Trouble to install rsruby on windows XP

Hello

I am trying to install rsruby on a windows XP machine

I use the following command

gem install rsruby --with-R-dir=c:/Program Files/R/R-2.11.1/Bin

I got the message:

invalid option : --with-R-dir=c:/Program

is there someon who could help
thanks a lot

On Feb 27, 3:38pm, “pas d.” [email protected] wrote:

invalid option : --with-R-dir=c:/Program

If you want to provide options to the gem during compile process,
please place them after double dashes:

gem install rsruby – --with-R-dir=

Also, a few recommendations:

  • for --with-R-dir, supply the root directory of R installation, not
    the bin directory
  • Try to install R in a path without spaces, path with spaces are
    always problematic. If you can install in a different folder, try
    using Substituted drivers (subst):

subst X: “C:\Program Files\R\R-2.11.1”

gem intstall rsruby – --with-R-dir=X:

  • Ensure you have successfully installed a compiler (like DevKit for
    RubyInstaller)

HTH,

Hello Luis

thanks for the help

I did what you suggested:
gem install rsruby – --with-R-dir=“c:\R\R-2.11.1”

and I get the same error cannot find the R library

concerning DevKit for RubyInstaller, I don’t know,sorry I’am new with
ruby
I use Ruby186 and Komodo how can I test if it’s correct? but I installed
others gems

pascal

Hello Alex

I have two windows machine (xp, vista) and some time but I don’t know
what knowhow is required to do the check;

I would be please to do it, tell me if you think it’s possible you can
contact me directly at [email protected]

pascal

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 05:54:21 +0900, pas d. wrote:

concerning DevKit for RubyInstaller, I don’t know,sorry I’am new with
ruby
I use Ruby186 and Komodo how can I test if it’s correct? but I
installed
others gems

pascal

Hi Pascal,

As far as I know RSRuby doesn’t install/work on Windows. It should be
possible to modify the source/build code to make it build, but I don’t
have a Windows machine (or the time!) to do that work myself -
apologies. RSRuby does install fine on *nix based systems or if you are
tied to Windows I think RPy (the equivalent Python package) does
install
on Windows.

On Mar 1, 6:28am, Alex G. [email protected] wrote:

Hi Pascal,

As far as I know RSRuby doesn’t install/work on Windows. It should be
possible to modify the source/build code to make it build, but I don’t
have a Windows machine (or the time!) to do that work myself -
apologies. RSRuby does install fine on *nix based systems or if you are
tied to Windows I think RPy (the equivalent Python package) does install
on Windows.

Hello Alex,

Perhaps something like rake-compiler and it’s cross-platform
compilation infrastructure can help you on that?

http://github.com/luislavena/rake-compiler

rake-compiler reduce the code required for extension compilation and
gem packaging plus additionally you can target Ruby versions of
Windows without the need of a real Windows machine

(of course, just to compile, for testing and other it will require
WINE or Windows)

This is been used by projects like DataMapper, SQLite3-Ruby, MySQL
gem, pg gem and others to deliver pre-compiled binaries and track down
compilation issues on Windows.

Nowdays Ruby on Windows has migrated to RubyInstaller, which uses GCC
as compiler toolchain, making things like porting more easy.

As long this extension/gem is not doing sockets, threads or signals,
things should work smoothly with the above mentioned approach.

If you want, I can provide guidance and support while you introduce
these changes.

If interested, post to RubyInstaller list:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller

Regards,

Alex G. wrote in post #984890:

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 08:10:22 +0900, Luis L. wrote:

are
http://github.com/luislavena/rake-compiler
down

If interested, post to RubyInstaller list:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller

Regards,

Luis L.

Thanks Luis - I’ll take a look.

Hello Alex, Luis

I’ve tried to use Rpy on windows but it doesn’t work,
you need to install three things
Rpy-1.0.3.win32-py2.7-R.2.12.1
Numpy-1.5.1-win32-superpack-python2.7
Pywin32-216.win32-py2.7

and in the end you get
:
RuntimeError: No module named _rpy2111

do you think that it would be possible to use rsruby on windows soon?

Pascal

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 08:10:22 +0900, Luis L. wrote:

are
http://github.com/luislavena/rake-compiler
down

If interested, post to RubyInstaller list:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller

Regards,

Luis L.

Thanks Luis - I’ll take a look.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs