Trouble after cloning my app from Github

Hello again,

I am still working through tutorials, but I have my sample app up on
github. Previously, I had it set up with guard/spork etc, and have about
49
tests written. Last time I used it, everything worked fine and passed. I
did a push to github and all was well.

Since then, I have had to reinstall the OS on my computer (Ubuntu
12.10),
and I have finally got Sublime Text 2, rvm, rails etc installed. After
all
of that, I cloned my app into the directory I wanted. Then I used
“bundle
install”, as I have read needed to be done. Next, I tried to run my
tests
(this time without guard/spork) so I just ran “bundle exec rspec spec”.
The
terminal window freezes for about 30 seconds and then spits out an
output
saying that every one of my tests has failed.

My application and directory structure is identical to what it was in my
previous OS. What could be causing this to happen?

Very confused…

Thanks!

I think There’s a problem with my database. It looks like the majority
of
my tests say “could not find table ‘users’”. I have tried “rake
db:setup”
and “rake db:migrate” but no luck.
Thanks!!!

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Michael A.
[email protected] wrote:

I am still working through tutorials, but I have my sample app up on
saying that every one of my tests has failed.

My application and directory structure is identical to what it was in my
previous OS. What could be causing this to happen?

Very confused…

Thanks!

Try the full load: db:drop db:create db:schema:load db:migrate.

Thanks for the reply. I tried that, although I am still having the same
troubles. Also, now when I type “bundle exec rspec spec” I enter the
command and then the terminal hangs completely frozen for almost a full
minute before the tests are actually ran. However, when the tests
finally
do run, it reports they finished in just .4 seconds.

Something is truly off here. Do I need to reinstall RVM? Would that be a
good idea?

Thanks again,

Ah - I performed “rake db:test:prepare” and now my tests are passing.
However, it still takes over a minute for an rspec spec test to even
begin.
I wonder what is causing the hang up?

Thanks,

You might try creating a dummy app and see how it fairs. If you have a
system wide problem (which is likely, because you said you reinstalled
OS),
then you will get similar results.

2013/3/22 Michael A. [email protected]

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 12:06 AM, Michael A.
[email protected] wrote:

Ah - I performed “rake db:test:prepare” and now my tests are passing.
However, it still takes over a minute for an rspec spec test to even begin.
I wonder what is causing the hang up?

Rails is causing the hang up. One must stop auto requiring everything
via bundler and start managing things a bit more manually, that is,
unless you like waiting 10 minutes for Rails to figure out what the
hell it’s going to do and then do it. What I am saying is, we’ve
managed to get our apps from taking a minute to load to loading almost
instantly by setting require:false on almost everything and then
manually requiring as we need it.

On 22 March 2013 01:41, Michael A. [email protected]
wrote:

I think There’s a problem with my database. It looks like the majority of my
tests say “could not find table ‘users’”. I have tried “rake db:setup” and
“rake db:migrate” but no luck.

If you look at the database using an alternative method of access
(dependent on database type) is the users table there?

Colin

Interesting to read, although at this point I am using exactly the same
setup (cloned from git) that I was using two days ago, and then the
tests
ran almost instantly. I think your wisdom will probably be more
applicable
as I move forward in my rails career :slight_smile:

Thanks,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Michael A.
[email protected] wrote:

Well, I ended up solving the problem. After doing the things stated in this
thread, and many other things found online with no success, I rebooted my
computer. When it booted up, Ubuntu told me it was running in low graphics
mode etc. Then, I rebooted again, came up normally, and then my tests ran
just fine. I think something was hosed up with my OS.

You might want to run some hardware tests, all the same…

Ubuntu 12.10 some bug is there…
otherwise u can try mac.

On Saturday, March 23, 2013, tamouse mailing lists
wrote:

You might want to run some hardware tests, all the same…


kanna(9742665400)

Enviado desde mi Blackberry 3G de Iusacell.

Well, I ended up solving the problem. After doing the things stated in
this
thread, and many other things found online with no success, I rebooted
my
computer. When it booted up, Ubuntu told me it was running in low
graphics
mode etc. Then, I rebooted again, came up normally, and then my tests
ran
just fine. I think something was hosed up with my OS.

Thank you all again for the support and help!

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs