Tracing an error


#1

When trying to view my application index page on the web browser in
development at link http://www.localhost:3000 the following message
appears:

Connection Interrupted
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please
try again.

and the URL changes to /http://www.localhost.com:3000/

What is the best way to trace the error causing this?


#2

Hi Bert,

Bert A. wrote:

and the URL changes to /http://www.localhost.com:3000/

What is the best way to trace the error causing this?

Do your development or mongrel logs tell you any thing? I always start
with
the logs.

HTH,
Bill


#3

Thank you, Bill.

How do I access the logs? (I’m a complete newbie and did not find how
to trace this in the books I’m using)


#4

Hi Bert,

Bert A. wrote:

How do I access the logs? (I’m a complete newbie and
did not find how to trace this in the books I’m using)

The log files are in the log directory which is at the same level as
your
app directory. The development.log file contains the output related to
the
behavior of your Rails app. The mongrel.log file contains output
related to
the behavior of the mongrel web server.

HTH,
Bill


#5

Thank you, Bill. Unfortunately there is nothing at all in the server
log, and the only entries in the development log are on 11/9 when I
created the application. I defintely start the server in the same path
as my application, but it appears the server is not communicating with
the application. I’ll need to do more research this weekend. Thanks
again!

Bill W. wrote:

Hi Bert,

Bert A. wrote:

How do I access the logs? (I’m a complete newbie and
did not find how to trace this in the books I’m using)

The log files are in the log directory which is at the same level as
your
app directory. The development.log file contains the output related to
the
behavior of your Rails app. The mongrel.log file contains output
related to
the behavior of the mongrel web server.

HTH,
Bill


#6

Connect to: http://localhost.3000/

NOTE: No www for localhost

Rick

On Nov 13, 10:57 am, Bert A. removed_email_address@domain.invalid


#7

Hi Rick,

removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

Connect to: http://localhost.3000/

NOTE: No www for localhost

On Nov 13, 10:57 am, Bert A. removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:

When trying to view my application index page on the web browser in
development at linkhttp://www.localhost:3000

Excellent catch, Rick. I read right past it.

Best regards,
Bill


#8

Thank you very much, Rick and Bill for your thoughtfulness and help!
I’ve really enjoyed reading books on RoR’s and just began to program
again after almost a 40 year hiatus (I programmed in Fortran as a young
engineer). I was soooo demoralized at not being able to do the simplest
beginning task in the RailsSpace book. It’s a very good lesson learned
to read the code carefully for typos. I’m back to the enjoyment of
programming in RoR’s this morning thanks to you!


#9

Hello Bert,
You may want to take a look at Patrick Lenz’s Simply Rails 2 book. He
does an excellent job of getting you up and running from ground zero
up. I had his previous book on Rails 1.2 and learned a lot from it.
Bharat


#10

Welcome back Bert,

I’ve been at it for almost 50 years now and I kind of miss the sound
of the card deck hitting the floor. Just the sound, not the shuffle.

Rick

On Nov 15, 8:21 am, Bert A. removed_email_address@domain.invalid


#11

Thanks for the tip, Bharat. I have it and agree that it is excellent
(along with Agile Web D. with Rails and Advanced Rails Recipes

  • two other very good books). I’m attempting to develop a social
    network, and Railsspace is my main guide for that.

Bert
Bharat R. wrote:

Hello Bert,
You may want to take a look at Patrick Lenz’s Simply Rails 2 book. He
does an excellent job of getting you up and running from ground zero
up. I had his previous book on Rails 1.2 and learned a lot from it.
Bharat