Towards gems - setup.rb

I thought I’d see how far I could get trying to execute gems setup.rb
using IronRuby.

The following lists the issues that I came across and how I fixed or
worked around them:

  1. Encountered assertion error in MergeLocations method when parsing
    setup.rb
  • changed code to cope with case where start location > end location
  • fixed a subsequent bug where _currentLineIndex wasn’t restored after
    encountering a HEREDOC
    (see MergeLocations.patch)
  1. Encountered unimplemented exception for NTH_REF.TransformRead
  • quick hack: provide a dummy implementation that simply returns Null
    (see NTH_REF.patch)
  1. Undefined constant ENV
  • created a new global constant of type ENV and implemented [] and
    delete methods in EnvOps.cs
  • note, this should really have be done by adding singleton methods
    rather than creating a new type
    (see ENV.patch)
  1. Uninitialized constant Config
  • this is meant to come from rbconfig.rb which gets loaded when gems
    are loaded via -rubygems command line option
  • so I added a -r command line option to automatically preload said
    modules
  • we may also want to support getting command line arguments from
    RUBYOPT environment variable.
    (see RequireOption.patch)
    • Now using rbx.exe
      /paths:\ruby\lib\ruby\1.8;\ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.8;\ruby\lib\ruby\1.8\i386-mswin32
      -rubygems setup.rb
  1. Loads ubygems.rb but then can’t load thread.so
  • quick hack: change thread.rb so that it doesn’t require thread.so
  1. Runtime error: version 1.8.6 doesn’t match executable version
    1.0.0.0 in rbconfig.rb
  • change rbconfig.rb to expect 1.0.0.0.
  • Note this is going to be a problem in general as many ruby apps
    access RUBY_VERSION at runtime and expect it to be 1.8.x
    The question is, should the version represent the version of the
    language supported or the version of the platform implementation?
  1. Versions still don’t match as RUBY_VERSION constant is a CLR string
    rather than a MutableString.
  • change RUBY_VERSION and RUBY_RELEASE_DATE to be MutableString
    (see RUBY_VERSION.patch)
  1. Uninitialized constant DESTDIR in rbconfig.rb
  • this is due to bug in defined?, so I extended
    AstNodeDescriptionExpression.TransformRead to deal correctly with
    uninitialized constants
    (see defined.patch)
  1. Scoping bug for nested blocks in rbconfig.rb as discussed in a
    previous email
  • create new CodeContext constructor to initialize parent property for
    nested code contexts
  • Note: these changes are entirely within the DLR, not IronRuby! - is
    it really a DLR bug or is IronRuby
    using these constructs incorrectly?
    (see NestedContext.patch)
  1. undefined method gsub! in rbconfig.rb
  • this method is not yet implemented. Is it waiting for port of the
    JRuby regular expression library?
    Are we sure we can’t get by with built-in .NET regular expressions
    (with some workarounds)?
    Does anyone have an example of a Ruby regular expression that we
    can’t deal with using .NET regular expressions?

Some of the patches that I’ve provided are quick and dirty hacks, so I
don’t necessarily expect them to find their way into the official
version in their current form, but they should at least give some idea
about some of the fixes that will be required to get gems and hence
rails working.

Cheers, Wayne.

Wayne K.:

I thought I’d see how far I could get trying to execute gems setup.rb
using IronRuby.

Some of the patches that I’ve provided are quick and dirty hacks, so I
don’t necessarily expect them to find their way into the official
version in their current form, but they should at least give some idea
about some of the fixes that will be required to get gems and hence
rails working.

Thanks for sending this along, Wayne!

We’re buried getting ready for MIX right now, but we’ll definitely get
right on these when the schedule eases up a bit :slight_smile:

Thanks,
-John

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
John L. (DLR)
Sent: Friday, 22 February 2008 2:21 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Ironruby-core] Towards gems - setup.rb

We’re buried getting ready for MIX right now, but we’ll
definitely get right on these when the schedule eases up a bit :slight_smile:

Hi John,

As an ex-project lead, I understand this situation all too well!
I realize you guys are tied up with MIX, so please don’t feel any
pressure to respond to my postings promptly.

Any bombshells planned for MIX this year? :slight_smile:

BTW, my next step will be to use the trace information to derive some
test cases
for these classes.

I’m not yet working on actually implementing any of these classes, so if
others
want to volunteer for specific classes, please do so now.

Cheers, Wayne.

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Wayne K.
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:04 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Ironruby-core] Towards gems - setup.rb

I thought I’d see how far I could get trying to execute gems setup.rb
using IronRuby.

The following lists the issues that I came across and how I fixed or
worked around them:

  1. Encountered assertion error in MergeLocations method when parsing
    setup.rb
  • changed code to cope with case where start location > end location
  • fixed a subsequent bug where _currentLineIndex wasn’t restored after
    encountering a HEREDOC
    (see MergeLocations.patch)
    I’ve fixed this one. Thanks for the report!
    Tomas

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs