TK for web application

hello:
Is TK suitable for rails “web” application?It seems that TK is for
desktop application.
If i want to use TK in “rails web application”,where should i put my
files containing TK codes in the rails directory?
thank you!

helo
waht is TK

TK is used to build graphic user interface.

parvinder Singh wrote:

helo
waht is TK

thank you!
From these article,TK should be for desktop application.
But if i want to make my rail web application’GUI more attractive,how do
i do?

Jim C. wrote:

Tk (software) - Wikipedia

On Aug 1, 5:19 am, Guo Y. [email protected] wrote:

thank you!
From these article,TK should be for desktop application.
But if i want to make my rail web application’GUI more attractive,how do
i do?

Jim C. wrote:

Tk (software) - Wikipedia

what do you mean with “more attractive”? If you would like to improve
the UI you can use CSS and all the other HTML elements for that.
Wouldn’t that be a possibility …

Kind regards,
Knut

From: Guo Y. [email protected]
Subject: TK for web application
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 11:35:11 +0900

Is TK suitable for rails “web” application?It seems that TK is for
desktop application.
If i want to use TK in “rails web application”,where should i put my
files containing TK codes in the rails directory?

When you want to run a Tk GUI on a client browser,
you must use “Tcl Plugin” and write a Tcl/Tk code
(NOT a Ruby/Tk code).

However, if you can admit to manage a (multi-window) Ruby/Tk GUI on
the server, Ruby/TkORCA (Ruby/Tk on RFB canvas) may be able to help you.
It can provide Ruby/Tk applications on the Net
(includes embedding it in a part of a web page).
You can use any library, if the library can draw on a container
frame of Tk (e.g. VTK is OK) or never draw on the screen.
Of course, it can store access logs and, if you want,
GUI control logs by users.

Unfortunately, current Ruby/TkORCA has no interface for a view of Rails.
Probably, making such interface is a little troublesome,
because a Tk GUI is not a “send and response”-type application
but a “connection”-type application.
A web page must has two or more frames.
One of them is a Ruby/TkORCA frame which keeps a connection to
the server, and some of othres are asynchronous pages.
The running Ruby/TkORCA GUI can be controlled by an administrator
(in this case, a web server process).
To affect the pages on the client browser, the GUI must send
the new pages with asynchronous control.

If you want to try, I’ll make the current snapshot downloadable.
The only document of Ruby/TkORCA is a digest written with Japanese.
Please ask me about the setup and the usage of Ruby/TkORCA.

Guo Y. wrote:

Is TK suitable for rails “web” application?It seems that TK is for
desktop application.

I have used tcl/TK on the web once or twice via the tcl-plugin (
Welcome to the Tcl Plugin ). However, I am not sure if this
will
work together with Ruby (Rails on Ruby), nor am I sure this is what you
are
asking :slight_smile:

Thank you!Your explaining have made me clear about TK in ruby.I have to
find another way to build rich interface.In fact ,what i really want is
someting that can make my interface looks more attractive.Using that
tool,My interface such as menu would have more third dimension,even some
animations.I prefer a button like flash button,not just a plain text
containing a link.Can you tell me what can make me accomplish this rich
interface?

From: Guo Y. [email protected]
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 11:35:11 +0900

[...]

You just need to learn CSS.
It will allow much more attractive pages.
That is your easiest, most useful technology to learn for
beautifying a rails app

On Aug 1, 5:45 am, Guo Y. [email protected] wrote:

Thank you!Your explaining have made me clear about TK in ruby.I have to
find another way to build rich interface.In fact ,what i really want is
someting that can make my interface looks more attractive.Using that
tool,My interface such as menu would have more third dimension,even some
animations.I prefer a button like flash button,not just a plain text
containing a link.Can you tell me what can make me accomplish this rich
interface?

You might have a look at Flex:

http://groups.google.com/group/adobe-rubyonrails-ria-sdk?hl=en

and at OpenLaszlo:

http://groups.google.com/group/laszlo-on-rails?lnk=li&hl=en

and at xul:
http://www.moztips.com/xul_lessons/fortunecookies/present.php
http://www.zedshaw.com/essays/ruby_xul.html

I have a fondness for OpenLaszlo, and OpenLaszlo can produce either
DHTML or Flash-based RIA, so I’d start there. Flex is Adobe’s, and has
Adobe’s massive support, but it’s Flash player all the way. xul is
“kul,” but it’s only on Mozilla browsers.

Those are the main answers I know about.

Ron