Timers

Hello,

I plan to use setitimer() for my GR development. I understand that each
Linux process can have only one timer at a time. Is this right?

If so, does GR use the timer? How do I avoid clashing with the GR over
the
timer?

Thanks,
Jeremy

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 05:17:08PM +0800, Jeremy Chew wrote:

Hello,

I plan to use setitimer() for my GR development. I understand that each
Linux process can have only one timer at a time. Is this right?

If so, does GR use the timer? How do I avoid clashing with the GR over the
timer?

In general, we handle time by counting samples. For example, with the
USRP as the i/o device, we know the actual data rate across the USB.

We don’t explicitly use setitimer, but there’s a chance that Python
could be using it behind the scenes for reasons of it’s own.

FYI, when the high-resolution timing support is complete, it will
effectively be counting samples too – only this time out in the FPGA.

Eric

On Thursday 02 November 2006 01:55, Eric B. wrote:

We don’t explicitly use setitimer, but there’s a chance that Python
could be using it behind the scenes for reasons of it’s own.

Would it be possible to spawn another thread and use usleep or select to
wait
for the desired length of time?

(This is addressed to the OP but I deleted that message)

This seems like a good idea, though kind of unusual to me. Is this a
standard or recommended way of implementing timed processing in Unix so
as
to allow multiple timed events to be scheduled?

Would it be possible to spawn another thread and use usleep or select to
wait
for the desired length of time?

(This is addressed to the OP but I deleted that message)

Daniel O’Connor software and network engineer
“The nice thing about standards is that there
are so many of them to choose from.”
– Andrew Tanenbaum