Thread.so (LOAD ERROR)

I did an update to ruby 1.8.6 and since then I can’t run anything in
Rails.

Ex:
[email protected]:~/sandbox/rhp/0708/trunk$ rake -T
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/thread.rb:5:in require': no such file to load -- thread.so (LoadError) from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/thread.rb:5 from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:85:inrequire’
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:85
from /usr/bin/rake:9:in `require’
from /usr/bin/rake:9
[email protected]:~/sandbox/rhp/0708/trunk$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [i686-linux]
[email protected]:~/sandbox/rhp/0708/trunk$ rails -v
Rails 1.2.3

This happens if I run script/generate… anything. I’ve uninstalled all
the gems related to rails (at least all the ones I know of) And it
hasn’t helped.

I am running Ubuntu Feisty and ALL of my packages and gem installs were
through apt-get or ruby gems.

Thanks.

Trying running this as root and see if it works. If it does, chances
are good you have a permissions problem, most probably caused by the
update.

Jean N. wrote:

I did an update to ruby 1.8.6 and since then I can’t run anything in
Rails.

Ex:
[email protected]:~/sandbox/rhp/0708/trunk$ rake -T
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/thread.rb:5:in require': no such file to load -- thread.so (LoadError) from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/thread.rb:5 from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:85:inrequire’
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:85
from /usr/bin/rake:9:in `require’
from /usr/bin/rake:9
[email protected]:~/sandbox/rhp/0708/trunk$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [i686-linux]
[email protected]:~/sandbox/rhp/0708/trunk$ rails -v
Rails 1.2.3

This happens if I run script/generate… anything. I’ve uninstalled all
the gems related to rails (at least all the ones I know of) And it
hasn’t helped.

I am running Ubuntu Feisty and ALL of my packages and gem installs were
through apt-get or ruby gems.

Thanks.

Same problem.s

VERY Much an issue because I have no ruby / Rails environment that works
now and I am not experienced enough to know how to get rid of EVERYTHING
and reinstall it.

Is there a Thread gem / package I should focus on?

Butch A. wrote:

Trying running this as root and see if it works. If it does, chances
are good you have a permissions problem, most probably caused by the
update.

The file thread.so is in a subdirectory /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-linux
or /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux.

Just copy the file that would be correct for your computer up to /usr/
lib/ruby/1.8,

I copied up the i686-linux version.

On Aug 26, 9:46 am, Jean N. [email protected]

I’m running on OS X, so your mileage may vary. In my case,
/usr/local/bin/ruby and associated binaries were owned by root, so I
chowned them to being owned by me. I also did the same thing
(recursively) with /usr/local/liby/ruby. That fixed it.

I’m pretty sure this solution has its own set of problems. For example,
I imagine that if I ever wanted to run something that binds to a
privledged port (like port 80), I’d have to run it as root. However,
that’s a fairly normal Unix-ism, and one I’m willing to live with.

Anyone else want to chime in here about the correct ownership of
ruby/rails installed files?

Jean N. wrote:

Same problem.s

VERY Much an issue because I have no ruby / Rails environment that works
now and I am not experienced enough to know how to get rid of EVERYTHING
and reinstall it.

Is there a Thread gem / package I should focus on?

Butch A. wrote:

Trying running this as root and see if it works. If it does, chances
are good you have a permissions problem, most probably caused by the
update.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs