The Ruby Way review on Slashdot

Whoo-hoo! My review of Hal F.'s _The_Ruby_Way,Second_Edition is on
Slashdot! Nice respite after a loooong day at work fixing bugs in C
programs…

Timothy H. wrote:

Whoo-hoo! My review of Hal F.'s _The_Ruby_Way,Second_Edition is on
Slashdot! Nice respite after a loooong day at work fixing bugs in C
programs…

http://books.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/08/1539259

Thanks much for writing this, Tim…
you’re very kind.

Hal

I ordered my copy from Amazon two days ago. I can’t wait to receive it,
as
I’ve heard nothing but good things.

Hal,

Is there plans to release this as a pdf? I’d really like to get my
(virtual) hands on a pdf of this.

Cheers

Daniel N wrote:

Hal,

Is there plans to release this as a pdf? I’d really like to get my
(virtual) hands on a pdf of this.

Through Safari, I think.

Hal

On 11/9/06, Hal F. [email protected] wrote:

Hal
Sorri I’m not sure what you mean by safari. Do you have a link…

Cheers

On 8-Nov-06, at 8:30 PM, Daniel N wrote:

Hal

Sorri I’m not sure what you mean by safari. Do you have a link…

Cheers

http://safari.oreilly.com

Mike S. [email protected]
http://www.stok.ca/~mike/

The “`Stok’ disclaimers” apply.

Daniel N wrote:

On 11/9/06, Hal F. [email protected] wrote:

Through Safari, I think.

Hal

Sorri I’m not sure what you mean by safari. Do you have a link…

http://safari.oreilly.com/ I believe…

Hal

Timothy H. wrote:

Whoo-hoo! My review of Hal F.'s _The_Ruby_Way,Second_Edition is on
Slashdot! Nice respite after a loooong day at work fixing bugs in C
programs…

http://books.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/08/1539259

Wow, precisely ZERO posts before the comments degenerated into unrelated
twaddle, flaming $LANGUAGE, making random utterly uninformed statements
about Ruby’s maturity, and more blatant flamebaiting and trollbaiting.

Slashdot never ceases to amaze me…

(Even though it’s hardly as bad as the claim that DRM reduces sound
quality because of quantum.)

David V.

On 11/9/06, David V. [email protected] wrote:

Wow, precisely ZERO posts before the comments degenerated into unrelated
twaddle, flaming $LANGUAGE, making random utterly uninformed statements
about Ruby’s maturity, and more blatant flamebaiting and trollbaiting.

Slashdot never ceases to amaze me…

I Soviet Russia, slashdot trolls YOU!!

On 11/9/06, Daniel N [email protected] wrote:

Hal,

Is there plans to release this as a pdf? I’d really like to get my
(virtual) hands on a pdf of this.

I got it on PDF but with much DRM.
I’m sorry to say that is has been an endless pain for me, many support
emails, much re-authorising, and repeated accusations from the Reader
about me having moved the file to another device. Still today, I can’t
read the book I paid for.
So try to get a version without DRM.

Les

On 11/9/06, Hal F. [email protected] wrote:

http://safari.oreilly.com/ I believe…

Hal

Thanx for the link.

On 11/9/06, Louis J Scoras [email protected] wrote:


Lou.

slashdot is a meta-troll. It’s obvious when you think about it.

Timothy H. wrote:

Whoo-hoo! My review of Hal F.'s _The_Ruby_Way,Second_Edition is on
Slashdot! Nice respite after a loooong day at work fixing bugs in C
programs…

http://books.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/08/1539259

My favorite quote (so far, I’m not very far into it) from the book:

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add,
but when there is nothing left to take away.

– Antoine de St. Exupery


reminds me very much of Einstein’s:

Make everything as simple as possible,
but not simpler.


and:

Have nothing in your houses that is not useful
or you do not believe to be beautiful.

                                        -- William Morris

I guess I like the minimalist approach :slight_smile:

eb

On Nov 9, 2006, at 9:10 AM, EB wrote:

but when there is nothing left to take away.

– Antoine de St. Exupery

My long-time favorite as well; that’s why Dave and I put in “The
Pragmatic Programmer” on page 188 :slight_smile:

Now if we can just get more people to actually do that…

/\ndy

Andrew H. wrote:

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add,
but when there is nothing left to take away.

– Antoine de St. Exupery

My long-time favorite as well; that’s why Dave and I put in “The
Pragmatic Programmer” on page 188 :slight_smile:

Another great Ruby book!

Now if we can just get more people to actually do that…

agreed :slight_smile:

eb

On 11/9/06, Andrew H. [email protected] wrote:

Now if we can just get more people to actually do that…

/\ndy

I have both editions for “Ruby Way” in my safari bookshelf.
Strange…they weren’t offering it for addition to bookshelf couple of
days ago.

Now…they do.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs