Texmate


#1

Hi

I installed ruby 1.8.5 and rails on mac osX 10.4.9 via darwinports.
Ever since, using the run command (cmd-R) for ruby programs from
textmate gives me:

“/bin/bash: line 4: Sat Apr 21 17:18:00 CDT 2007 /usr/local/bin/ruby:
No such file or directory”

Interestingly, I get the same message if I try to run a python program
from textmate as well.

There is a file ‘ruby’ in /usr/local/bin/ and a file ‘ruby’ in /usr/
bin/ruby

From the command line, “whereis ruby” gives me /usr/bin/ruby

Since I am currently looking at a book on my desk called “Textmate -
Power editing for the Mac”, I thought someone in this group might
have a suggestion…

TIA

C L Snyder


#2

On Apr 21, 2007, at 5:45 PM, Charles L. Snyder wrote:

I installed ruby 1.8.5 and rails on mac osX 10.4.9 via darwinports.

DarwinPorts, now called MacPorts, would have installed Ruby in it’s
directory. I believe that’s something like /opt/bin/ruby.

Try going into TM’s preferences, over to the Advanced section, and
setting a variable called TM_RUBY to /opt/bin/ruby (double-check me
on the location though).

Hope that helps.

James Edward G. II


#3

James Edward G. II removed_email_address@domain.invalid writes:

On Apr 21, 2007, at 5:45 PM, Charles L. Snyder wrote:

I installed ruby 1.8.5 and rails on mac osX 10.4.9 via darwinports.

DarwinPorts, now called MacPorts, would have installed Ruby in it’s
directory. I believe that’s something like /opt/bin/ruby.

/opt/local/bin/ruby

sherm–


#4

On Apr 21, 6:18 pm, Sherm P. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

James Edward G. II removed_email_address@domain.invalid writes:

On Apr 21, 2007, at 5:45 PM, Charles L. Snyder wrote:

I installed ruby 1.8.5 and rails on mac osX 10.4.9 via darwinports.

Actually, I had already tried the “TM_RUBY” trick - tried it again
with each of these (one at a time)

  1. /opt/local/bin/ruby

  2. /usr/bin/ruby

  3. /usr/local/bin/

This is the same error message for all three:

/Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/
web_preview.rb:70:in html_head': undefined method+’ for
nil:NilClass (NoMethodError) from /Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/
SharedSupport/Support/lib/scriptmate.rb:186:in emit_header' from / Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/ scriptmate.rb:91:inemit_html’ from /Applications/TextMate.app/
Contents/SharedSupport/Bundles/Ruby.tmbundle/Support/RubyMate/
run_script.rb:72

Maybe I should just reinstall textmate .? … my ruby programs will
run from textwrangler or command line just fine


#5

On Apr 22, 2007, at 9:19 AM, Craig D. wrote:

The whereis command searches only the standard binary directories.

Modifying the PATH variable is probably the best solution. If you are
not sure about doing that, and chose DarwinPorts/MacPorts as a way to
escape such Unix trouble, well, it’s never so clean and easy. (not
until the next version of OS X later in the year)
I recommend you pick up UNIX in a Nutshell from OReilly press,
because it covers exactly how to set PATH and other such things in
the Bash shell. It covers OS X, Linux and Unix in general, so if you
build some great Rails app, or port your Ruby code to another
machine, you won’t have trouble.
Working with Ruby and Rails does mean you need to know a little Unix,
not a lot. But keep a reference handy!


#6

On Apr 21, 2007, at 7:30 PM, Charles L. Snyder wrote:

This is the same error message for all three:

/Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/
web_preview.rb:70:in html_head': undefined method+’ for
nil:NilClass (NoMethodError) from /Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/
SharedSupport/Support/lib/scriptmate.rb:186:in emit_header' from / Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/ scriptmate.rb:91:inemit_html’ from /Applications/TextMate.app/
Contents/SharedSupport/Bundles/Ruby.tmbundle/Support/RubyMate/
run_script.rb:72

OK, this error message has nothing to do with Ruby failing to load,
which is the problem I thought we were discussing.

The line that errors out on fetches ENV[‘HOME’]. Surely that has to
be set on your box, but just as a reality-check try this:

  1. Open a new TM document
  2. Type echo $HOME
  3. Press control-R on that line of shell code

What kind of answer do we get?

Maybe I should just reinstall textmate .?

That shouldn’t do anything. We just need to figure out what the
problem is.

James Edward G. II

P.S. This doesn’t really have anything to do with Ruby, so why don’t
we take it off-list. You can email me privately or shift to the
TextMate discussion list. I’ll see your response either way. Thanks.


#7

On Apr 21, 2007, at 6:45 PM, Charles L. Snyder wrote:

Interestingly, I get the same message if I try to run a python program
from textmate as well.

There is a file ‘ruby’ in /usr/local/bin/ and a file ‘ruby’ in /usr/
bin/ruby

From the command line, “whereis ruby” gives me /usr/bin/ruby

The whereis command searches only the standard binary directories.
Instead try the which command. Here’s how things looks on my machine,
where I have left Apple’s Ruby install untouched and installed a
newer Ruby via MacPorts:

$ which ruby
/opt/local/bin/ruby
$

The MacPorts one is found because the binary directories from
MacPorts appear first on my path:

$ echo $PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/bin:/
sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
$

Maybe you just need to modify your PATH environment variable so that /
usr/local/bin (and perhaps /usr/local/sbin) appear before /usr/bin.
Let us know if that helps.

Craig