Template is missing

I have installed Ruby, RubyGems, Rails, MySQL and sqlite3. After
starting the server and viewing a simple application called
‘greeting.rhtml’ I get the following message in FireFox:

Template is missing

Missing template app/greeting.html.erb in view path C:/Documents and
Settings/Me/Desktop/rubydev/hello/app/views

I am a newbie and really don’t know where to go from here. Any
suggestions…? Thanks!

it’s as simple as the message tells you, the file greeting.html.erb
in folder C:/Documents and
Settings/Me/Desktop/rubydev/hello/app/views
is missing.

this should contain the html/erb code to display your data
for simple testing/make it run, you can just place an empty file with
the name there or put some simple html in it like:

Greeting

that’s all to it, you should see the content of the file in your browser

Thanks, it is now working. But I don’t really understand - what on
earth is a html.erb file? And why does this file work but the .rhtml
file doesn’t?

On 10 Apr 2008, at 22:20, Bazley wrote:

Thanks, it is now working. But I don’t really understand - what on
earth is a html.erb file? And why does this file work but the .rhtml
file doesn’t?

.html.erb is the new name for .rhtml. Both should still work though.

Fred

It’s a bit of a niggle that the .rhtml file should work but it
doesn’t, despite the html.erb file working fine. Is there anything you
can recommend I do to investigate and/or fix this…?

Thorsten M. wrote:

it’s as simple as the message tells you, the file greeting.html.erb
in folder C:/Documents and
Settings/Me/Desktop/rubydev/hello/app/views
is missing.

this should contain the html/erb code to display your data
for simple testing/make it run, you can just place an empty file with
the name there or put some simple html in it like:

Greeting

that’s all to it, you should see the content of the file in your browser

Hi, I am also new to Ruby on Rails and html…after reading your
comment i now know that i need to create a html.erb file but my question
is how do i create an html.erb file??? using notepad??? Do i jus type
(da file name) followed by html.erb??? I’ve tried dis but it still says
“Template is Missing”

Thanks and hope 2 hear 4m u soon!

Dark D. wrote:

Thorsten M. wrote:

it’s as simple as the message tells you, the file greeting.html.erb
in folder C:/Documents and
Settings/Me/Desktop/rubydev/hello/app/views
is missing.

this should contain the html/erb code to display your data
for simple testing/make it run, you can just place an empty file with
the name there or put some simple html in it like:

Greeting

that’s all to it, you should see the content of the file in your browser

Hi, I am also new to Ruby on Rails and html…after reading your
comment i now know that i need to create a html.erb file but my question
is how do i create an html.erb file??? using notepad??? Do i jus type
(da file name) followed by html.erb??? I’ve tried dis but it still says
“Template is Missing”

Thanks and hope 2 hear 4m u soon!

It’s just a text file. You create it in a text editor, the same way
you’d create a plain HTML file for a static website.

A thought: if you don’t know how to create static Web pages, then you’re
not ready to
start working with Rails (or any other Web programming framework) quite
yet. Learn HTML first, then come back.

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

It’s just a text file. You create it in a text editor, the same way
you’d create a plain HTML file for a static website.

A thought: if you don’t know how to create static Web pages, then you’re
not ready to
start working with Rails (or any other Web programming framework) quite
yet. Learn HTML first, then come back.

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

Its cool mate, I’ve solved the problem myself. I was using NOTEPAD
before but I tried SciTe and it works.

Dark D. wrote in post #911654:

Its cool mate, I’ve solved the problem myself. I was using NOTEPAD
before but I tried SciTe and it works.

Strange this would work in one text editor and not the other. It should
have been a simple bit of HTML code.

Bazley wrote:

It’s a bit of a niggle that the .rhtml file should work but it
doesn’t, despite the html.erb file working fine. Is there anything you
can recommend I do to investigate and/or fix this…?

Nothing needs to be “fixed”. The .rhtml naming scheme is deprecated in
Rails 2, and I believe it’s been removed entirely in Rails 3. So don’t
use it!

If you have a tutorial that uses .rhtml, that’s a sure sign that it’s
out of date. Find a current one.

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

Template is missing
Missing template salutation/hello, application/hello with
{:locale=>[:en], :formats=>[:html], :handlers=>[:erb, :builder, :raw,
:ruby, :jbuilder, :coffee]}. Searched in: *
“C:/Users/RAPHAEL/hello/app/views”

How can I solve this problem ?

On 12 May 2010 13:36, Dark D. [email protected] wrote:

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

Its cool mate, I’ve solved the problem myself. I was using NOTEPAD
before but I tried SciTe and it works.

Are you sure the file created by notepad had the correct full name,
possibly it had .txt on the end. You are using Windows after all,
perhaps it hid the extension for you.

Colin

Walter D. wrote in post #1113937:

Does that file exist at either of the sub-paths indicated, or not? If
not, move it there, or create it there. Check also that you may have a
folder called ‘salutations’ (plural) and you may have written
salutation/hello in your view or controller (wherever you called
render).

Walter

Walter, it worked!
I really appreciate you took the time to help. Thank You very much!

Does that file exist at either of the sub-paths indicated, or not? If
not, move it there, or create it there. Check also that you may have a
folder called ‘salutations’ (plural) and you may have written
salutation/hello in your view or controller (wherever you called
render).

Walter

Thanks walter!! even this helped me! I was so blind to write ‘trail’ for
‘trial’ lol!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Regards,
Ud

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs