system("AcroRd32.exe ")

Hi,

Is there a way to start Acrrobat reader on my local desktop by a ruby
application running on the server by launching : system("AcroRd32.exe "
?

2010/7/16 Mamadou Touré [email protected]:

Hi,

Is there a way to start Acrrobat reader on my local desktop by a ruby
application running on the server by launching : system("AcroRd32.exe "

I believe not, that will run it on the server. Would you want a
website to be able to run applications on your PC? How about
system(“del .”) or rm * dependent on your OS?

All the ruby and erb code is run on the server. Javascript is run in
the browser of course.

Colin

Colin L. wrote:

2010/7/16 Mamadou Tour� [email protected]:

Hi,

Is there a way to start Acrrobat reader on my local desktop by a ruby
application running on the server by launching : system("AcroRd32.exe "

I believe not, that will run it on the server. Would you want a
website to be able to run applications on your PC? How about
system(“del .”) or rm * dependent on your OS?

All the ruby and erb code is run on the server. Javascript is run in
the browser of course.

Colin

Hi Colin,

What I really need is to run the command system("AcroRd32.exe "), and
not the system(“del .”). so Maybe, I’ll try to have it called by the
javascript.

Regards

2010/7/17 Mamadou Touré [email protected]:

All the ruby and erb code is run on the server. Â Javascript is run in
the browser of course.

Colin

Hi Colin,

What I really need is to run the command system("AcroRd32.exe "), and
not the system(“del .”). so Maybe, I’ll try to have it called by the
javascript.

I believe it is not possible to do it from javascript. I understand
that you want to run acrord32 and not something unpleasant, but the
point is that if it were possible for you to do this then someone else
would so something unpleasant.

Why do you want to run acrord32 on the users pc?

Colin

Colin L. wrote:

2010/7/17 Mamadou Touré [email protected]:

All the ruby and erb code is run on the server. Â Javascript is run in
the browser of course.

Colin

Hi Colin,

What I really need is to run the command system("AcroRd32.exe "), and
not the system(“del .”). so Maybe, I’ll try to have it called by the
javascript.

I believe it is not possible to do it from javascript. I understand
that you want to run acrord32 and not something unpleasant, but the
point is that if it were possible for you to do this then someone else
would so something unpleasant.

Why do you want to run acrord32 on the users pc?

Colin

Hi Colin,

I want to run accrobat, because I need to open an XDP file in order to
merge it with a pdf. The only way that I see is to open the xdp on
accrobat thus it’ll bring up the corresponding pdf with all it’s fields
populated, and then I just need to save it.

Regards

2010/7/17 Mamadou Touré [email protected]:

What I really need is to run the command system("AcroRd32.exe "), and
Colin

Hi Colin,

I want to run accrobat, because I need to open an XDP file in order to
merge it with a pdf. The only way that I see is to open the xdp on
accrobat thus it’ll bring up the corresponding pdf with all it’s fields
populated, and then I just need to save it.

But why do you want to do it on the users PC? You say that ‘I’ need
to do that, not ‘the user’ needs to do that. Generally anything that
‘I’ need to do must be run on the server. Why can you not do the
manipulation on the server? Not that I know about XDP at all.

Colin

Colin L. wrote:

But why do you want to do it on the users PC? You say that ‘I’ need
to do that, not ‘the user’ needs to do that. Generally anything that
‘I’ need to do must be run on the server. Why can you not do the
manipulation on the server? Not that I know about XDP at all.

Colin
I would say that “the user needs”. The server can not do that because
there is no accrobat installed in the server.

Mamadou Touré wrote:

Colin L. wrote:

But why do you want to do it on the users PC? You say that ‘I’ need
to do that, not ‘the user’ needs to do that. Generally anything that
‘I’ need to do must be run on the server. Why can you not do the
manipulation on the server? Not that I know about XDP at all.

Colin
I would say that “the user needs”. The server can not do that because
there is no accrobat installed in the server.

Then you need to install Acrobat (or some other XDP processing tool) on
the server, so that you can serve a PDF file to the user, or you need to
find out if there’s an XDP browser plugin and tell your users to install
it. You are going about this entirely the wrong way.

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

Mamadou Touré wrote:

Colin L. wrote:

But why do you want to do it on the users PC? You say that ‘I’ need
to do that, not ‘the user’ needs to do that. Generally anything that
‘I’ need to do must be run on the server. Why can you not do the
manipulation on the server? Not that I know about XDP at all.

Colin
I would say that “the user needs”. The server can not do that because
there is no accrobat installed in the server.

Then you need to install Acrobat (or some other XDP processing tool) on
the server, so that you can serve a PDF file to the user, or you need to
find out if there’s an XDP browser plugin and tell your users to install
it. You are going about this entirely the wrong way.

…or serve the XDP file with the appropriate MIME type that the browser
knows to tell Acrobat to open it. That would appear to be
application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml .

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs