Sudoku Difficulty

Hi guys

I am trying to develop a sudoku app in ruby.
I want to have the difficulty levels…say easy Medium and hard

What decides the level of difficulty.How should i place my numbers
depending upon the difficulty level selected

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 03:28:10 -0500, Vipul K. wrote:

Hi guys

I am trying to develop a sudoku app in ruby. I want to have the
difficulty levels…say easy Medium and hard

What decides the level of difficulty.How should i place my numbers
depending upon the difficulty level selected

Not a Sudoku expert but is it just the number of numbers initially
displayed? ie the less to start with the harder the game?

cheers,

Mark:

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 03:28:10 -0500, Vipul K. wrote:

I am trying to develop a sudoku app in ruby. I want to
have the difficulty levels…say easy Medium and hard

What decides the level of difficulty.How should i place
my numbers depending upon the difficulty level selected

Not a Sudoku expert but is it just the number of numbers initially
displayed? ie the less to start with the harder the game?

I don’t think it’s this simple – a proper Sudoku should be always
solveable without taking a guess, and I think the hardest are
the ones that put the solver in a position where there’s only
one non-guessing move on the whole board (or, at least, as few
such moves as possible), and taking this move leads to another
such hard situation.

— Shot

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Datum: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 17:28:10 +0900
Von: Vipul K. [email protected]
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Sudoku Difficulty

Hi guys

I am trying to develop a sudoku app in ruby.
I want to have the difficulty levels…say easy Medium and hard

What decides the level of difficulty.How should i place my numbers
depending upon the difficulty level selected

Dear Vipul,

What decides the level of difficulty.How should i place my numbers
depending upon the difficulty level selected

I am not quite sure whether the computational effort of a particular
implementation in solving a problem can really be mapped to the
psychological difficulty a subject finds in solving it.
This caveat apart, I’d take your application, or this one, if you are
not yet ready:

http://gecoder.rubyforge.org/examples/sudoku.html

and generate and solve some problems to see how big the range of
computation times is.
Maybe you also have some Sudokus some expert has classified, to see
how long a difficult one takes in contrast to a simple one, given your
implementation ?

Best regards,

Axel