Stompserver 0.9.0 Released

stompserver version 0.9.0 has been released!

by Patrick H.
http://stompserver.rubyforge.org/

Don’t want to install a JVM, but still want to use messaging? Me too,
so I threw together this little server. All the hard work was done
by Francis C. (big thank you) in his event machine gem (which
is required by this server). And all the great Madeleine developers
(used
for journaling).

== FEATURES/PROBLEMS:

Handles basic message queue processing
Does not support any server to server messaging
(although you could write a client to do this)
Server Id is not being well initialized
Quite a bit of polish is still required to make into a daemon/service
and add command line handling.
And oh yeah, I need to write some docs (see the tests for now)

Changes:

== 0.9.0 / 16 Oct 2006

  • Initialial Beta Release

    • Seems to work
    • Passes numerous test cases
    • Journals using madeleine
    • Needs documentaion
    • Needs to command line processing
    • Needs service/daemon options

    by Patrick H.
    http://stompserver.rubyforge.org/

On 10/16/06, Patrick H. [email protected] wrote:

http://stompserver.rubyforge.org/

Gives me a bunch of 403 Forbidden errors…

Jacob F.

Sounds great, but I get a “Forbidden” error on the web page.

–Jeremy

Lol I was just writing a simple stomp server using eventmachine today.
But no reason to re-invent the wheel, looking forward to trying out
stompserver.

Chris

On 10/16/06, Patrick H. [email protected] wrote:

Don’t want to install a JVM, but still want to use messaging? Me too,
so I threw together this little server. All the hard work was done
by Francis C. (big thank you) in his event machine gem (which
is required by this server). And all the great Madeleine developers
(used

for journaling).

This looks awesome Patrick- I look forward to checking it out.

I’m curious about something. I noticed you added a newline after the
null in the stomp protocol . I had to do the same thing or the client
would hang. I ran out of time before finding out why the stomp client
wasn’t getting the last line without adding the newline. I assume you
figured it out?

Also, I’ve never used madeleine before, but I wonder how something
like berkeleydb might compare. Madeleine seems pretty slow and I
noticed a lot of stop and go type delays when sending and receiving
messages. Still plenty fast for most stuff though, I’m just
nitpicking…

Chris

On 10/16/06, snacktime [email protected] wrote:

http://stompserver.rubyforge.org/
Does not support any server to server messaging

  • Initialial Beta Release

Sorry for the release screw up. I was trying out hoe and I must have
goofed something up. I have actually made a couple more fixes. Check
out the gem or grab from rubyforge.

It is still pretty rough - complete lack of documentation and command
line options most notably, but it appears to work fairly well.

If you have any problems please let me know (or you can tell me at
RubyConf :slight_smile:
pth

On 10/17/06, snacktime [email protected] wrote:

I’m curious about something. I noticed you added a newline after the
null in the stomp protocol . I had to do the same thing or the client
would hang. I ran out of time before finding out why the stomp client
wasn’t getting the last line without adding the newline. I ss asume you
figured it out?

I added that to deal with an existing bug in the Ruby Stomp client.
The protocol allows (but does not require) white space between frames.
The existing Stomp gem requires a newline after the null frame
terminator. I checked on the Stomp mailing list and it is a bug.

Also, I’ve never used madeleine before, but I wonder how something
like berkeleydb might compare. Madeleine seems pretty slow and I
noticed a lot of stop and go type delays when sending and receiving
messages. Still plenty fast for most stuff though, I’m just
nitpicking…

I was going to roll my own journal system, actually had started, but
decided to get it working first and madeleine seemed like the quickest
route to that goal. All the operations are pretty well encapsulated in
the FrameJournal class so it would be easy to change it out.

I have not done any performance measurements yet, so I cannot comment
on where the delays might be originating. I will be taking a look at
performance after I get a few more things wrapped up (docs and command
line processing).

Thanks for the feed back
pth

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs