Still cannot install rails on windows


#1

if i follow the instructions on:

http://agilo.us/2009/03/15/rails-on-windows/

the command

gem install sqlite3-ruby

will give


Building native extensions. This could take a while…
ERROR: Error installing sqlite3-ruby:
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
checking for fdatasync() in rt.lib… no
checking for sqlite3.h… no

nmake
‘nmake’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Gem files will remain installed in
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1
.2.4 for inspection.
Results logged to
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.2.4/ext/sqlite3_
api/gem_make.out

Right now, i installed sqlite and moved the exe into c:\ruby\bin

if i start the server and go to http://localhost:3000
and click
About your application’s environment

a javascript alert box will show up to say

libmysql.dll is missing

does anyone know how to get Rails set up on windows vista? thanks.


#2

I use Instant Rails all the time and love it.

http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl
http://rubyforge.org/projects/instantrails/

It may have troubles, but it could be worth looking into.

On Apr 21, 1:20 pm, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon <rails-mailing-


#3

About libmysql.dll, you can download MySQL Windows Version and copy
the libmysql.dll to C:\Windows\System32
And, I think you can download InstantRails to learn how to develop
rails application on Windows if you are a newbie.
Good luck.

¦b 2009/4/22 ¤W¤È 1:20 ®É¡A SpringFlowers AutumnMoon ¼g¨ì¡G


#4

On Apr 21, 6:20 pm, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon <rails-mailing-
removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

if i follow the instructions on:

http://agilo.us/2009/03/15/rails-on-windows/

the command

gem install sqlite3-ruby

If I recall you have to ask for version 1.2.3 of the gem (because
there is no windows build for 1.2.4)

Fred


#5

HeChian wrote:

About libmysql.dll, you can download MySQL Windows Version and copy
the libmysql.dll to C:\Windows\System32
And, I think you can download InstantRails to learn how to develop
rails application on Windows if you are a newbie.
Good luck.

i thought Rails 2 use SQLite as the default database engine? how come
it is looking for LibMySQL.dll? thanks.


#6

On Apr 21, 7:24 pm, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon <rails-mailing-
removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

great, thanks, this works… although the Javascript popup still says
about libmysql.dll is missing. how come it is looking for mysql stuff?
i thought sqlite is the default?

What is your app set to use ?

Fred


#7

Frederick C. wrote:

On Apr 21, 6:20�pm, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon <rails-mailing-
removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

if i follow the instructions on:

http://agilo.us/2009/03/15/rails-on-windows/

the command

gem install sqlite3-ruby

If I recall you have to ask for version 1.2.3 of the gem (because
there is no windows build for 1.2.4)

Fred

great, thanks, this works… although the Javascript popup still says
about libmysql.dll is missing. how come it is looking for mysql stuff?
i thought sqlite is the default?

C:\rails\third>gem install -v=1.2.3 sqlite3-ruby
Successfully installed sqlite3-ruby-1.2.3-x86-mswin32
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for sqlite3-ruby-1.2.3-x86-mswin32…
Installing RDoc documentation for sqlite3-ruby-1.2.3-x86-mswin32…


#8

Frederick C. wrote:

On Apr 21, 7:24�pm, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon <rails-mailing-
removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

great, thanks, this works… although the Javascript popup still says
about libmysql.dll is missing. �how come it is looking for mysql stuff?
i thought sqlite is the default?

What is your app set to use ?

Fred

not sure… but since i used

gem install rails

just a few days ago, should it be using sqlite? and how can it be
changed? thanks.


#9

On Apr 21, 9:34 pm, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon <rails-mailing-
removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

changed? thanks.

The important thing is what you specified when you generated the
application, or what you have since set it to use. those settings live
in your_app/config/database.yml


#10

Frederick C. wrote:

On Apr 21, 9:34�pm, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon <rails-mailing-
removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

changed? thanks.

The important thing is what you specified when you generated the
application, or what you have since set it to use. those settings live
in your_app/config/database.yml

when generating the app, i just use

rails fourth

so is it default to sqlite if i am using the most recent rails? thanks.


#11

SpringFlowers AutumnMoon wrote:
[…]

when generating the app, i just use

rails fourth

so is it default to sqlite if i am using the most recent rails? thanks.

Probably – but don’t waste time guessing. Rather, look at the
database.yml file. That will let you know exactly what the app expects!

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
removed_email_address@domain.invalid


#12

SpringFlowers,

I used InstantRails and it worked quite smoothly, but was very slow.
I’m switching to Ubuntu over Sun xVM VirtualBox. You should definitely
give it a try!

Cheers, Sazima

On Apr 21, 8:39 pm, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon <rails-mailing-


#13

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

SpringFlowers AutumnMoon wrote:
[…]

when generating the app, i just use

rails fourth

so is it default to sqlite if i am using the most recent rails? thanks.

Probably – but don’t waste time guessing. Rather, look at the
database.yml file. That will let you know exactly what the app expects!

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

hm, thanks. everything inside that file says sqlite… so i wonder why
the javascript pop up says libmysql.dll