After upgrading an old -embedded- Jruby setup, I noticed the startup
is ~2x slower with 1.7.9 than 1.5.x.
I have started some java profiling (will provide details if anyone
interested), but before I dig deeper- I’d love to hear from the
is this degration known/expected, and is there an easy workaround?
Note: I’m aware of the startup performance being an age old problem with
Jruby, I was just a bit puzzled that it got that much worse since the
Also saw Charlie’s excellent article,
http://blog.headius.com/2010/03/jruby-startup-time-tips.html , tried to
adapt a few of the tricks to the embedded context, without groundbraking
results yet. Switching off JIT didn’t help in my case.
The reason I’m badly hit by this now is that the production code
spins up Jruby several times- I know I’d have work on avoiding that (eg.
caching the runtimes), maybe using some other LocalContextProvider,
but I was hoping to cross that bridge later, after a smooth Jruby
I’d be really grateful for any more pointers or ideas for workarounds.