Starting on the Ruby Rails path


#1

Hi all, I’m a web designer/-developer. I found Ruby and Ruby on Rails,
and as I can understand (for now) this is what I’ve been looking for.
I’m really exited about this. Prior to this I’ve used Lasso and PHP.

But a few questions (sitting on Mac OS 10.4.6). I tried to install
according to this:

http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rails_lighttpd_mysql_tiger

But I got stuck when installing Rails with “sudo gem install rails
–include-dependencies”. I think I either wasn’t in the right directory
when doing the installation via the terminal, or I didn’t get the PATH
right (probably the latter).

Don’t know if that “export PATH=”/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:$PATH""
was correct for bash. Can’t I put that in .bash_profile together with
the mysql path I have there? (Never understood the difference with
.bash_profile, .bashrc, .bash_login, etc).

How do I check if I got Ruby and RubyGems installed properly?

I also got Locomotive for Mac OS. If I have that do I need to bother
with the other installation above?


#2

If you use Locomotive you can skip the steps.
I personally don’t like locomotive but it does the job.

On 5/24/06, Pål Bergström removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

–include-dependencies". I think I either wasn’t in the right directory
I also got Locomotive for Mac OS. If I have that do I need to bother
with the other installation above?


Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.


Rails mailing list
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails


#3

Yes, you can put it into your ~/.bash_profile. However, it won’t
become active until you log out and log back in. To see if it is
active, use the env command and look for the PATH variable. Does it
start with /usr/local/bin (it should, according to your post below)?

On May 24, 2006, at 5:07 AM, Pål Bergström wrote:


#4

Anthony C. wrote:

Yes, you can put it into your ~/.bash_profile. However, it won’t
become active until you log out and log back in. To see if it is
active, use the env command and look for the PATH variable. Does it
start with /usr/local/bin (it should, according to your post below)?

On May 24, 2006, at 5:07 AM, Pål Bergström wrote:

Got it working! With both Locomotive and “directly”.

I will try to get started and learn Ruby on Rails. But it’s not that
easy to understand. I think I’ll have a look at Ruby first.

Anyway, I understand that there are several tools in Rails that make
things easy to develop. I wonder if that is a smart way to go or if it
makes you limited in what you can do? And what control do I have over
the layout and design, where to define css, etc?


#5

Complete control. RoR is all about the tools. It does not limit you in
any way. Just makes it faster. No need really to dive into Ruby first.
Just start Railing and the rest will come naturally.

On 5/24/06, Pål Bergström removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:


Rails mailing list
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails


#6

Jón Borgþórsson wrote:

Complete control. RoR is all about the tools. It does not limit you in
any way. Just makes it faster. No need really to dive into Ruby first.
Just start Railing and the rest will come naturally.

On 5/24/06, Pål Bergström removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:


Rails mailing list
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails

Ok. Thanks.