I want to start contributing to open source. I aim at ruby, with or
- What is the best way to find the right project? Github?
- Is it better to work on something that has just started with
development, or perhaps to submit patches for bigger projects?
- What is the process like? If I like the project and want to
contribute to, am I supposed to message the main developer first?
- Do developers usually accept help?
- Am I better off sticking with one project or contributing to many
- Is it OK to ask the main developer questions about the project (both
spec and implementation)?
- Is it OK to ask the main developer questions about ruby/rails (or I
should stick to forums)?
- My free time varies a lot. Sometimes I have a lot of it, while
sometimes I am very busy. Does contributing sporadically present a
- I like pair programming. Since I don’t have anybody to work with me
at the moment, would it be a good idea to find another RoR developer
online and work with him/her, help each other out and comment each
other’s code? If that sounds good to you, let me know.
- And do you guys have any interesting project you need help with?