Standard dry-run flag


#1

is there a standard global var for dry-run? e.g. $DRYRUN. i’ve been
using $NOHARM myself, but decided i want to use whatever rake uses (I
assume it sets a global flag so task defs can use it if need be.) which
got me thinking it would probably be good if ruby had a standard for
this.

t.


#2

Trans wrote:

is there a standard global var for dry-run? e.g. $DRYRUN. i’ve been
using $NOHARM myself, but decided i want to use whatever rake uses (I
assume it sets a global flag so task defs can use it if need be.) which
got me thinking it would probably be good if ruby had a standard for
this.

Actually no, Rake does not store the dry-run flag in a global. It is
stored in an options object that is local to the Rake::Application
object. This allows multiple Rake::Applications running in the same
memory space, each with its own set of tasks and options.

Early versions of Rake used globals, but I’ve tried to avoid them as
much as possible in later versions.

– Jim W.


#3

Jim W. wrote:

memory space, each with its own set of tasks and options.
curiuos, does that scenario actually arise?

but more important to me at the moment, how does one access the
–dry-run flag in one’s task?

thanks,
t.


#4

Trans wrote:

Actually no, Rake does not store the dry-run flag in a global. It is
stored in an options object that is local to the Rake::Application
object. This allows multiple Rake::Applications running in the same
memory space, each with its own set of tasks and options.

curiuos, does that scenario actually arise?

but more important to me at the moment, how does one access the
–dry-run flag in one’s task?

oh, i forgot to ask… $DRYRUN seems to be on the order of $DEBUG which
is built-into Ruby. that in itslef seesm a bit worrisome given your
point. can’t setting $DEBUG in one memory space mess up another too?

t.


#5

Trans schrieb:

Jim W. wrote:

(…)

but more important to me at the moment, how does one access the
–dry-run flag in one’s task?

Tom, I’ve nether used Rake yet, but

task.application.options.dryrun

should give you the desired information.

Regards,
Pit

PS: Welcome back, Jim! At least I have missed our posts.


#6

Sorry for the typos. Here’s what I wanted to write…

Trans schrieb:

Jim W. wrote:

(…)

but more important to me at the moment, how does one access the
–dry-run flag in one’s task?

Tom, I’ve never used Rake yet, but

task.application.options.dryrun

should give you the desired information.

Regards,
Pit

PS: Welcome back, Jim! At least I have missed your posts.


#7

Pit C. wrote:

task.application.options.dryrun

should give you the desired information.

thanks Pit. i’ll try that.

t.