I recently spent an interesting hour trying to figure out why a
render wasn’t working. I was getting the error message:
syntax error, unexpected ‘)’, expecting ‘=’
The line that was “failing” (that is, the very first line in the stack
trace produced) looked like this:
<%= render student %>
The error, of course, wasn’t there; it was in the partial that “student”
corresponded to (the layout “/users/_user.html.erb”). Once I realized
it took all of three seconds to find a typo I had made.
I think this is a bit of a usability issue – is there any way I could
configure (or patch) Rails to get the stacktrace to show me the partial
that was failing, rather than the penultimate (and perfectly fine)
I hope I’m explaining this issue coherently.