Sqljdbc4.jar and rails 3

I’m trying to set up a test project for a rails app using MS SQL server
as
backend database,
but i cannot get it working.

Dev env is Mac OSX Snow leopard, jruby 1.5.1, rails 3.0.0beta4
database is MS Sql server 2005

I did download the ms sql jdbc driver from MS site and placed
sqljdbc4.jar
in jruby lib
I did export CLASSPATH=/Applications/jruby/lib/sqljdbc4.jar

gems installed

activerecord (3.0.0.beta4)
activerecord-jdbc-adapter (0.9.7)
activerecord-jdbcmssql-adapter (0.9.7)

database.yml

development:
host:
adapter: jdbc
username:
password:
driver: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
url: jdbc:sqlserver://;databaseName=jruby01
timeout: 5000

I created manually the database, added a table “products” with a column
“ID” and a couple of fields and filled a few records
I did generate a Product model in rails

if i run rails console and try to do Product.find i get an error saying:

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection
SEVERE: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) versione 1.6 is not supported by
this driver.
Please use the JDBC 4 driver (sqljdbc4.jar) instead.

Why does it say i have to use sqljdbc4.jar instead? instead of what? I
did
copy only the sqljdbc4.jar and not the sqljdbc.jar.

if in database.yml i change adapter from jdbc to jdbcmssql i cannot even
launch rails console

/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:76:in
establish_connection': Please install the jdbcmssql adapter:gem
install
activerecord-jdbcmssql-adapter` (no such file to load –
active_record/connection_adapters/jdbcmssql_adapter) (RuntimeError)

even in this case jdbcmssql activerecord gem was installed…

Any hint about what to do?

Many thanks and brgds

Francesco

Francesco Pellegrini
Frame Srl
email [email protected]

Qui giace Monsieur De Lapalisse; se non fosse morto, sarebbe ancora
vivo.
Epitaffio sulla tomba di Jacques De Lapalisse

Did you follow the Rails 3 specific instructions here?

   adapter: jdbc

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 1:30 AM, [email protected] wrote:

I did download the ms sql jdbc driver from MS site and placed sqljdbc4.jar
in jruby lib
I did export CLASSPATH=/Applications/jruby/lib/sqljdbc4.jar

That looks ok…

   host:
   adapter: jdbc
   username:
   password:
   driver: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
   url: jdbc:sqlserver://;databaseName=jruby01
   timeout: 5000

I think this still works but I’m not sure it will pick up any MS SQL
Server specific stuff in the ar-jdbcmssql code…so I would expect
jdbcmssql to be the right way to go (and perhaps just “mssql” under
Rails 3, but Nick would know better than I).

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection
SEVERE: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) versione 1.6 is not supported by this
driver.
Please use the JDBC 4 driver (sqljdbc4.jar) instead.

Why does it say i have to use sqljdbc4.jar instead? instead of what? I did
copy only the sqljdbc4.jar and not the sqljdbc.jar.

Hmm…that’s unexpected. Are you able to run a simple piece of Ruby
code that uses classes from that jar?

I can’t say we have a ton of people on SQL Server but they’re
around…you may get results from googling for it.

if in database.yml i change adapter from jdbc to jdbcmssql i cannot even
launch rails console

/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:76:in
establish_connection': Please install the jdbcmssql adapter: gem install
activerecord-jdbcmssql-adapter` (no such file to load –
active_record/connection_adapters/jdbcmssql_adapter) (RuntimeError)

even in this case jdbcmssql activerecord gem was installed…

Try just “mssql”?

  • Charlie

back from one week holiday just to find out that things don’t get fixed
by
themselves… very strange…

Yes, I did follow Nick’s instructions, but still can’t get it working

/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:76:in
establish_connection': Please install the jdbcmssql adapter: gem
install
activerecord-jdbcmssql-adapter` (no such file to load –
active_record/connection_adapters/jdbcmssql_adapter) (RuntimeError)

What do I have to check to see why this error comes out? The
activerecord-jdbcmssql-adapter gem is installed (0.9.7), so why does it
say
that ih have to install it?

best regards

Francesco

From: Kyle W. [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Date: 28/07/2010 13.28
Subject: Re: [jruby-user] sqljdbc4.jar and rails 3

[...]

see inline

On 08/04/2010 06:19 AM, Charles Oliver N. wrote:

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 1:30 AM,[email protected] wrote:

I did download the ms sql jdbc driver from MS site and placed sqljdbc4.jar
in jruby lib
I did export CLASSPATH=/Applications/jruby/lib/sqljdbc4.jar

That looks ok…

alternatively you can change the classpath on the environment.rb (or a
custom initializer)
as seen below

if defined?(JRUBY_VERSION)
require ‘java’
$CLASSPATH << “file:///#{Rails.root}/lib/sqljdbc4.jar”
end

This saves you from exporting CLASSPATH everytime.
And also simplifies other tasks, like running rake tasks and IDE
integration.

   adapter: jdbc

Even though I’ve yet to try Rails 3, I’ve several apps that work with
legacy db schemas on SqlServer,

Here is a tipical db config

development:
adapter: <%= defined?(JRUBY_VERSION) ? “jdbc” : “mysql” %>
encoding: latin1
reconnect: true
pool: 5
host: localhost
username: mydb
password: mydb
database: mydb
driver: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
url: jdbc:sqlserver://myserver\SQLEXPRESS;database=mydb
schema: dbo

So using jdbc should be enough

I can’t say we have a ton of people on SQL Server but they’re
around…you may get results from googling for it.

Only sqljdbc4.jar is needed, by the way on which JVM are you running it?
Both OpenJdk an SunJdk should be ok .

Cheers,
Luis Landeiro R.

Try just “mssql”?

Luis, Charles

thanks for your hints.

I tried a mix of them and the result is now the following:

database.yml

development:
adapter: jdbcmssql
database: myapp_development
driver: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
url: jdbc:sqlserver://;databaseName=myapp_development
username:
password:
hostname:
port: 1433

I also did a patch to Gemfile

if defined?(JRUBY_VERSION)
gem ‘activerecord-jdbc-adapter’, :require => false
gem ‘activerecord-jdbcmssql-adapter’, :require => false
else

really don’t know what to put in here for mssql

the sqllite example

gem ‘sqlite3-ruby’, :require => ‘sqlite3’

does not help me to understand what to write for mssql

end

when launching jruby -S rails server i get the following error

jruby -S rails server
=> Booting WEBrick
=> Rails 3.0.0.beta4 application starting in development on
http://0.0.0.0:3000
=> Call with -d to detach
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server
Exiting
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/base.rb:1041:in
method_missing': undefined method establish_connection’ for
ActiveRecord::Base:Class (NoMethodError)

I’m lost in the middle of nowhere…

Francesco Pellegrini
Frame Srl
Via Serra 6/6
16122 Genova

Tel 010 8992200
Cell. 348 2237798
Fax 010 8992256

From: Luis R. [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Date: 04/08/2010 11.13

see inline

On 08/04/2010 06:19 AM, Charles Oliver N. wrote:

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 1:30 AM,[email protected] wrote:

I did download the ms sql jdbc driver from MS site and placed
sqljdbc4.jar
in jruby lib
I did export CLASSPATH=/Applications/jruby/lib/sqljdbc4.jar

That looks ok…

alternatively you can change the classpath on the environment.rb (or a
custom initializer)
as seen below

if defined?(JRUBY_VERSION)
require ‘java’
$CLASSPATH << “file:///#{Rails.root}/lib/sqljdbc4.jar”
end

This saves you from exporting CLASSPATH everytime.
And also simplifies other tasks, like running rake tasks and IDE
integration.

   adapter: jdbc
   username:<username>
   password:<password>
   driver: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
   url: jdbc:sqlserver://<sql server ip

address>;databaseName=jruby01

[...]

On 08/05/2010 05:27 PM, [email protected] wrote:

adapter: jdbcmssql
if defined?(JRUBY_VERSION)

ActiveRecord::Base:Class (NoMethodError)

The missing stacktrace would help us understand the problem.
Anyway I will bootstrap a rails 3 pre and check if I can get it up and
running.

Francesco,
I’ve successfully connected to a SqlServer 2k8 with the app below

Since I don’t know what’s the current list policy on file attachments,
I’ve uploaded it to hotfile to avoid spamming everyone else.

I only removed the sqljdbc4.jar file, from the lib directory to reduce
the transfer size.

My steps were:

rails new teste -d mysql
cd teste
vi config/database.yml
replaced development hash with:

development:
adapter: <%=“jdbc” if RUBY_ENGINE==“jruby”%>
encoding: latin1
reconnect: false
pool: 5
username: username
password: musernam
driver: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
url: jdbc:sqlserver://SERVER\SQLEXPRESS;databaseName=HERE_BE_DRAGONS

vi Gemfile
added
gem ‘activerecord-jdbc-adapter’, ‘0.9.7’

vi config/environment.rb
added

if defined?(JRUBY_VERSION)
require ‘java’
$CLASSPATH << “file:///#{Rails.root}/lib/sqljdbc4.jar”
end

##Disclaimer
I’m still not fluent in rails3 there may be a better way of doing the
previous step.

lribeiro@flesh:/tmp/teste$ rails console
jruby-head > ActiveRecord::Base.connection
=> #ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters::JdbcAdapter:0x5054c2b8

Also rails server is working properly as well, tried out some generated
Models
and User.first works as expected

Cheers,
Luis Landeiro R.

http://hotfile.com/dl/60016895/3c906d2/test.tbz2.html

Here the error with the missing stacktrace

/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/base.rb:1041:in
method_missing': undefined method establish_connection’ for
ActiveRecord::Base:Class (NoMethodError)

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/railtie.rb:55

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_support/lazy_load_hooks.rb:17:in
`instance_eval’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_support/lazy_load_hooks.rb:17:in
`execute_hook’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_support/lazy_load_hooks.rb:24:in
`run_load_hooks’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_support/lazy_load_hooks.rb:23:in
`each’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_support/lazy_load_hooks.rb:23:in
`run_load_hooks’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/base.rb:1937

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/base.rb:2
… 44 levels…
from /Users/fpellegrini/myapp/config/environment.rb:5
from /Users/fpellegrini/myapp/config/environment.rb:3:in `require’
from config.ru:3

Francesco Pellegrini

From: Luis R. [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Date: 05/08/2010 18.43
Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [jruby-user] {Disarmed} Re: [jruby-user]
sqljdbc4.jar and rails 3

On 08/05/2010 05:27 PM, [email protected] wrote:

  Luis, Charles

  thanks for your hints.

  I tried a mix of them and the result is now the following:

  database.yml

  development:
  adapter: jdbcmssql
  database: myapp_development
  driver: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
  url: jdbc:sqlserver://<srv ip addr>;databaseName=myapp_development
  username: <username>
  password: <password>
  hostname: <srv ip addr>
  port: 1433

  I also did a patch to Gemfile

  if defined?(JRUBY_VERSION)
  gem 'activerecord-jdbc-adapter', :require => false
  gem 'activerecord-jdbcmssql-adapter', :require => false
  else
  # really don't know what to put in here for mssql
  # the sqllite example
  # gem 'sqlite3-ruby', :require => 'sqlite3'
  # does not help me to understand what to write for mssql
  end

  when launching jruby -S rails server i get the following error

  jruby -S rails server
  => Booting WEBrick
  => Rails 3.0.0.beta4 application starting in development on
  MailScanner ha rilevato un possibile tentativo di frode

proveniente
da “0.0.0.0:3000” MailScanner warning: numerical links are often
malicious: http://0.0.0.0:3000
=> Call with -d to detach
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server
Exiting
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/base.rb:1041:in
method_missing': undefined method establish_connection’ for
ActiveRecord::Base:Class (NoMethodError)

The missing stacktrace would help us understand the problem.
Anyway I will bootstrap a rails 3 pre and check if I can get it up and
running.

  I'm lost in the middle of nowhere....

  Qui giace Monsieur De Lapalisse; se non fosse morto, sarebbe

ancora
vivo.
Epitaffio sulla tomba di Jacques De Lapalisse

  Inactive hide details for Luis R. ---04/08/2010

11.13.41—see
inline On 08/04/2010 06:19 AM, Charles Oliver N. wrote:Luis
Ribeiro —04/08/2010 11.13.41—see inline On 08/04/2010 06:19
AM,

  From: Luis R. <[email protected]>
  To: [email protected]
  Date: 04/08/2010 11.13

> [...]

> around…you may get results from googling for it.

  Only sqljdbc4.jar is needed, by the way on which JVM are you

running
it?
Both OpenJdk an SunJdk should be ok .

  Cheers,
  Luis Landeiro R.
  >> if in database.yml i change adapter from jdbc to jdbcmssql i
  cannot even
  >> launch rails console

/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:76:in

  >> `establish_connection': Please install the jdbcmssql adapter:

gem install >> activerecord-jdbcmssql-adapter (no such file to load –
>> active_record/connection_adapters/jdbcmssql_adapter)
(RuntimeError)

>> even in this case jdbcmssql activerecord gem was installed…

The following code uses Sequel and JDBC to connect to a MSSQL server:

require ‘rubygems’

require ‘sequel’

db =
Sequel.connect(‘jdbc:sqlserver://servername:port;databaseName=xxx;user=x
xx;password=xxx’)

pdf = db[:PrintStream].first[:packingliststream]

Thanks,

Brandon H.

[...]

=> Rails 3.0.0.beta4 application starting in development on MailScanner

From: Luis R. [email protected]
mailto:[email protected]
To: [email protected]
Date: 04/08/2010 11.13

mailto:[email protected] wrote:

I did download the ms sql jdbc driver from MS site and placed
sqljdbc4.jar
in jruby lib
I did export CLASSPATH=/Applications/jruby/lib/sqljdbc4.jar

That looks ok…

alternatively you can change the classpath on the environment.rb (or a
custom initializer)
as seen below

if defined?(JRUBY_VERSION)
require ‘java’
$CLASSPATH << “file:///# <file:///\> {Rails.root}/lib/sqljdbc4.jar”
[...]

Is it possible that the problem is related to Jruby version?

jruby --version
jruby 1.5.1 (ruby 1.8.7 patchlevel 249) (2010-06-06 f3a3480) (Java
HotSpot
™ 64-Bit Server VM 1.6.0_20) [x86_64-java]

Franesco

From: Luis R. [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Date: 05/08/2010 19.09
sqljdbc4.jar and rails 3

  From: Luis R. <[email protected]>
  To: [email protected]
  Date: 04/08/2010 11.13

> [...]

> around…you may get results from googling for it.

  Only sqljdbc4.jar is needed, by the way on which JVM are you

running
it?
Both OpenJdk an SunJdk should be ok .

  Cheers,
  Luis Landeiro R.
  >> if in database.yml i change adapter from jdbc to jdbcmssql i
  cannot even
  >> launch rails console

/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:76:in

  >> `establish_connection': Please install the jdbcmssql adapter:

gem install >> activerecord-jdbcmssql-adapter (no such file to load –
>> active_record/connection_adapters/jdbcmssql_adapter)
(RuntimeError)

>> even in this case jdbcmssql activerecord gem was installed…

I don’t think so, I used jruby-head but 1.5.1 should work as well.
I’m betting on the JVM, can you download jdk instead of the jre, and try
with that?

Also I’m sending you in private my jar file just to have the same
environment.

Cheers,
Luis Landeiro R.

followed your steps but still getting troubles
Generated a rails app named teste
edited database.yml, Gemfile and environment.rb
added sqljdbc4.jar in teste/lib

Then launched Jruby -S rails console,
and trying to get AR connection… KA-BOOM…

fpcasa:teste fpellegrini$ jruby -S rails console
irb(main):001:0> ActiveRecord::Base.connection
5-ago-2010 20.11.32 com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection

SEVERE: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.6 is not supported by
this
driver. Please use the JDBC 4 driver (sqljdbc4.jar) instead.
5-ago-2010 20.11.32 com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection

SEVERE: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.6 is not supported by
this
driver. Please use the JDBC 4 driver (sqljdbc4.jar) instead.
RuntimeError: The driver encountered an error:
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: SEVERE: Java Runtime
Environment
(JRE) version 1.6 is not supported by this driver. Please use the JDBC 4
driver (sqljdbc4.jar) instead.

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-jdbc-adapter-0.9.7-java/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/jdbc_adapter.rb:344:in
`initialize’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-jdbc-adapter-0.9.7-java/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/jdbc_adapter.rb:476:in
`new’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-jdbc-adapter-0.9.7-java/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/jdbc_adapter.rb:476:in
`initialize’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-jdbc-adapter-0.9.7-java/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/jdbc_adapter.rb:49:in
`new’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-jdbc-adapter-0.9.7-java/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/jdbc_adapter.rb:49:in
`jdbc_connection’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:226:in
`new_connection’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:248:in
`checkout_new_connection’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:190:in
`checkout’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:186:in
`loop’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:186:in
checkout' from /Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/1.8/monitor.rb:191:in mon_synchronize’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:185:in
`checkout’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:99:in
`connection’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:330:in
`retrieve_connection’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:103:in
`retrieve_connection’

from
/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:95:in
`connection’

  From: Luis R. <[email protected]>
  To: [email protected]
  Date: 04/08/2010 11.13

> [...]

> around…you may get results from googling for it.

  Only sqljdbc4.jar is needed, by the way on which JVM are you

running
it?
Both OpenJdk an SunJdk should be ok .

  Cheers,
  Luis Landeiro R.
  >> if in database.yml i change adapter from jdbc to jdbcmssql i
  cannot even
  >> launch rails console

/Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:76:in

  >> `establish_connection': Please install the jdbcmssql adapter:

gem install >> activerecord-jdbcmssql-adapter (no such file to load –
>> active_record/connection_adapters/jdbcmssql_adapter)
(RuntimeError)

>> even in this case jdbcmssql activerecord gem was installed…

Can you post the classpath? Possibly you have also the older jar on the
classpath somewhere in your system

Luís Landeiro R.

Em 2010/08/08 05:17, [email protected] escreveu:

Luis,

tried your sqljdbc4.jar (put it in teste/lib), but i still get the same
error.
The JRE error stating that Java 1.6 is not supported and that you have
use sqljdbc.jar is in Italian.

macbook:teste fpellegrini$ jruby -S rails console

irb(main):001:0> ActiveRecord::Base.connection

8-ago-2010 6.09.43 com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection

GRAVE: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) versione 1.6 non è supportato dal
driver. Utilizzare la libreria di classi sqljdbc4.jar, che fornisce
supporto
per JDBC 4.0.
8-ago-2010 6.09.43 com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection

GRAVE: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) versione 1.6 non è supportato dal
driver. Utilizzare la libreria di classi sqljdbc4.jar, che fornisce
supporto
per JDBC 4.0.
RuntimeError: The driver encountered an error:
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
[...]
loop' from /Applications/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.0.beta4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:186:in checkout’
[...]
from (irb):1irb(main):002:0>

I have Mac OSX Snow Leopard and there is full JDK installed, last Apple
software update related to Java is dated June 10

macbook:/ fpellegrini$ javac -version
javac 1.6.0_20

macbook:/ fpellegrini$ which javac
/usr/bin/javac

macbook:/ fpellegrini$ java -version
java version “1.6.0_20”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02-279-10M3065)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01-279, mixed mode)

macbook:/ fpellegrini$ which java
/usr/bin/java

BTW, the two sqljdbc.jar files have quite different sizes, even if both
share the same creation date:

my sqljdb.jar: Created April 19 2010 19.08, size 537.303
your sqljdbc.jar: Created April 19 2010 19.08 size 466.359

It seems it does not know where to look for sqljdbc4.jar; I checked the
environment.rb and classpath declaration is ok…

Francesco Pellegrini

Qui giace Monsieur De Lapalisse; se non fosse morto, sarebbe ancora
vivo.
Epitaffio sulla tomba d…
[image: Inactive hide details for Luis R. —06/08/2010
09.46.13—I
don’t think so, I used jruby-head but 1.5.1 should work as we]Luis
Ribeiro

From: Luis R. [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Date: 06/08/2010 09.46
Subject: Re: [jruby-user] Re: {Disarmed} Re: [jruby-user] {Disarmed} Re:
[jruby-user] sqljdbc4.jar and rails 3

I don’t think so, I used jruby-head but 1.5.1 should work as well.
I’m betting on the JVM, can you download jdk instead of the jre, and try
with that?

Also I’m sending you in private my jar file just to have the same
environment.

Cheers,
Luis Landeiro R.

On 08/05/2010 07:45 PM, [email protected]
[email protected]wrote:

Is it possible that the problem is related to Jruby version?

  jruby --version
  jruby 1.5.1 (ruby 1.8.7 patchlevel 249) (2010-06-06 f3a3480) (Java
  HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 1.6.0_20) [x86_64-java]

  Franesco

  Francesco Pellegrini
  Frame Srl
  Via Serra 6/6
  16122 Genova

  Tel 010 8992200
  Cell. 348 2237798
  Fax 010 8992256
  email

[email protected][email protected]

  Qui giace Monsieur De Lapalisse; se non fosse morto, sarebbe

ancora
vivo.
Epitaffio sulla tomba di…
[image: Inactive hide details for Luis R. —05/08/2010
19.09.50—Francesco, I’ve successfully connected to a SqlServer
2k8 with]Luis
Ribeiro —05/08/2010 19.09.50—Francesco, I’ve successfully

  From: Luis R. <[email protected]>
  To: [email protected]

  Date: 05/08/2010 19.09

  sqljdbc4.jar and rails 3

  ------------------------------

  Francesco,
  I've successfully connected to a SqlServer 2k8 with the app below*
  **
  **http://hotfile.com/dl/60016895/3c906d2/test.tbz2.html*<http://hotfile.com/dl/60016895/3c906d2/test.tbz2.html>

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_emailhttp://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

From: Luis R. [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Date: 06/08/2010 09.46
Subject: Re: [jruby-user] Re: {Disarmed} Re: [jruby-user] {Disarmed}
Re:

On 08/05/2010 07:45 PM, [email protected] wrote:

  Is it possible that the problem is related to Jruby version?

  jruby --version
  jruby 1.5.1 (ruby 1.8.7 patchlevel 249) (2010-06-06 f3a3480) (Java
  HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 1.6.0_20) [x86_64-java]

  Franesco

  Francesco Pellegrini
  Frame Srl
  Via Serra 6/6
  16122 Genova

  Tel 010 8992200
  Cell. 348 2237798
  Fax 010 8992256
  email [email protected]

  Qui giace Monsieur De Lapalisse; se non fosse morto, sarebbe

ancora
vivo.
Epitaffio sulla tomba di Jacques De Lapalisse

  Inactive hide details for Luis R. ---05/08/2010
  19.09.50---Francesco, I've successfully connected to a SqlServer

2k8
with Luis R. —05/08/2010 19.09.50—Francesco, I’ve
successfully connected to a SqlServer 2k8 with the app below

  From: Luis R. <[email protected]>
  To: [email protected]
  Date: 05/08/2010 19.09
[...]

on MailScanner ha rilevato un possibile tentativo di
[...]

              Oliver N. wrote:Luis R. ---04/08/2010

              From: Luis R. <[email protected]>
              To: [email protected]
              Date: 04/08/2010 11.13

              <[email protected]>  wrote:

              >> I did download the ms sql jdbc driver from MS site

and
placed sqljdbc4.jar
>> in jruby lib
>> I did export
CLASSPATH=/Applications/jruby/lib/sqljdbc4.jar

> That looks ok…

alternatively you can change the classpath on the
environment.rb (or a
custom initializer)
as seen below

              if defined?(JRUBY_VERSION)
               require 'java'
               $CLASSPATH <<

“file:///#{Rails.root}/lib/sqljdbc4.jar”
end

              This saves you from exporting CLASSPATH everytime.
              And also simplifies other tasks, like running rake

tasks
and IDE
integration.
>> gems installed
>>
>> activerecord (3.0.0.beta4)
>> activerecord-jdbc-adapter (0.9.7)
>> activerecord-jdbcmssql-adapter (0.9.7)
>>
>> database.yml
>>
>> development:
>> host:
>> adapter: jdbc
>> username:
>> password:
>> driver:
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
>> url: jdbc:sqlserver://;databaseName=jruby01
>> timeout: 5000
>>
> I think this still works but I’m not sure it will
pick
up any MS SQL
> Server specific stuff in the ar-jdbcmssql code…so
would expect
> jdbcmssql to be the right way to go (and perhaps
just
“mssql” under
> Rails 3, but Nick would know better than I).

Even though I’ve yet to try Rails 3, I’ve several apps
that work with
legacy db schemas on SqlServer,

              Here is a tipical db config

              development:
               adapter: <%= defined?(JRUBY_VERSION) ? "jdbc" :

“mysql”
%>
encoding: latin1
reconnect: true