After having quite a time working out what needed to be done, I thought
I’d share how I got the sqlite3 gem installed on Windows under Ruby 2.0.
I installed Ruby 2.0 using RubyInstaller for Windows (32 bit).
Installed in c:\ruby2.0.0p0
I installed the correct DevKit.
Installed in c:\ruby2.0.0p0\devkit
I created a “knapsack” directory on my C: drive.
I downloaded file sqlite-22.214.171.124-x86-windows.tar.lzma and put it in the
I extracted that file using the bsdtar.exe program located in
devkit\mingw\bin. From the knapsack directory:
C:\knapsack>c:\ruby2.0.0p0\devkit\mingw\bin\bsdtar --lzma -xf
That created four directories (bin, include, lib, share)
I then ran gem install as follows:
ruby 2.0.0p0 (2013-02-24) [i386-mingw32]
C:\knapsack>gem install sqlite3 --platform=ruby –
Fetching: sqlite3-1.3.7.gem (100%)
Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit…
Building native extensions with: ‘–with-opt-dir=C:/Knapsack’
This could take a while…
Successfully installed sqlite3-1.3.7
Parsing documentation for sqlite3-1.3.7
unable to convert “\x90” from ASCII-8BIT to UTF-8 for
Installing ri documentation for sqlite3-1.3.7
1 gem installed
DL is deprecated, please use Fiddle
irb(main):001:0> require ‘sqlite3’
And all was well with the world, finally. Whew!
HT: Luis L.
Hope this helps someone else avoid what I had to go through.