Specify RJS Templates

Hey all,

Is there a way to specify which RJS template to use for an action?
Similar
to render :template => “template”. I’ve got an action that I need to
have
render different templates within the same action. Due to a front-end
Mongrel plugin I don’t want to have an action for each template like you
would normally. As far as I can tell, you can only have one RJS template
for
an action, is that true?

Thanks!


Thermal Creative
http://blog.thermalcreative.com

I’ve used render :template => “someothertemplate” with rjs plenty of
times, never been a problem here.

Fred

On 14 November 2006 11:43, Matt W. wrote:

Is there a way to specify which RJS template to use for an action? Similar
to render :template => “template”. I’ve got an action that I need to have
render different templates within the same action. Due to a front-end
Mongrel plugin I don’t want to have an action for each template like you
would normally. As far as I can tell, you can only have one RJS template
for an action, is that true?

if foo
render :action => ‘one.rjs’
else
render :action => ‘another.rjs’
end

Actually, you can use extensions when you do usual render:
render :action => ‘foo.rhtml’

If no extension given, it deduces it. In fact, the :action argument
doesn’t
mean that it will somehow render an action. It means that it will use
template with given name that should be located in template folder for
current controller.

Matt, I would recommending reading and completing the tutorials of
“RJS Templates for Rails” by Cody F. because it provides a wealth
of information on RJS. BTW, the answer to your question is answered
on page 4.

Good luck,

-Conrad

On 11/14/06, Matt W. [email protected] wrote:

I’ve got Cody’s book, but that part apparently didn’t stick :). And I did
use render :template => “rjstemplate”, and I got an error thrown that it
couldn’t find rjstemplate.rhtml, so it appeared that the render was
automatically extending the filename to .rhtml.

Rails searches for templates in some order. I believe, it first tries to
find .rhtml file, then, perhaps, .rxml and .rjs.

Concerning your problem: make sure you are using latest Rails release.

I’ve got Cody’s book, but that part apparently didn’t stick :). And I did
use render :template => “rjstemplate”, and I got an error thrown that it
couldn’t find rjstemplate.rhtml, so it appeared that the render was
automatically extending the filename to .rhtml.

render :template => “rjstemplate”, :type => :rjs

-philip

Maxim,

I used your original render :action => “template.rjs” option, and that
works
fine. I’m on Edge, but when I try render :template => “template” or
render
:template => “template.rjs” assert_existence_of_template_file throws a
MissingTemplate error because it’s looking for the wrong file type
(rhtml).

For some reason Cody’s book has dropped out of Safari and my bookshelf,
so I
can’t verify what his method was. I’ve sent O’Reilly an email, but they
haven’t fixed it yet.

Matt

On 11/15/06, Maxim K. [email protected] wrote:

find .rhtml file, then, perhaps, .rxml and .rjs.

Concerning your problem: make sure you are using latest Rails release.


Thermal Creative
http://blog.thermalcreative.com

On 11/14/06, Matt W. [email protected] wrote:

Maxim,

I used your original render :action => “template.rjs” option, and that
works fine. I’m on Edge, but when I try render :template => “template” or
render :template => "template.rjs " assert_existence_of_template_file
throws a MissingTemplate error because it’s looking for the wrong file type
(rhtml).

Difference between render :action => and render :template => is that
template is searched relative to TEMPLATE ROOT (which is
RAILS_ROOT/app/views by default). So to use render :template => you
should
supply proper path, e.g. render :template =>
‘mycontroller/template.rjs’.

Hope that helps.

Hmmm… I’m looking @ the code for action_controller/base and it seems
that
:type only gets taken into account when rendering inline templates, not
file-based ones. Suffice it to say, I got the same file-type extension
error
I did before, where it puts .rhtml onto the end instead of .rjs.

render :action => “template.rjs” works because render_action takes into
account the .rjs extension and renders it without layout by default…
It
seems like at this point the best option is the render :action => "
template.rjs".

Thanks, though!

Matt

On 11/15/06, Philip H. [email protected] wrote:

Matt, I would recommending reading and completing the tutorials of

an action, is that true?


Thermal Creative
http://blog.thermalcreative.com

Thanks all…

I’ve got Cody’s book, but that part apparently didn’t stick :). And I
did
use render :template => “rjstemplate”, and I got an error thrown that it
couldn’t find rjstemplate.rhtml, so it appeared that the render was
automatically extending the filename to .rhtml.

I’ll check out Cody’s solution…

Matt

On 11/14/06, Conrad T. [email protected] wrote:

for


Thermal Creative
http://blog.thermalcreative.com

Yep, makes perfect sense. I confirmed that by looking at the
ActionController::Base source… It does a simple check for existence to
see
if the file exists based solely on the path passed to :template, and if
it
doesn’t then it calls @template.send(:full_template_path, template_name,
‘rhtml’) to get the file name. Interestingly, the last parameter on
full_template_path is the file type. So, I wonder if a simple fix to
this
problem would be to have it also accept the :type parameter as was
mentioned
previously on this thread.

Then you could just do render :template => “filename”, :type => :rjs and
it
would actually work.

Either way, it seems that :action is the most concise solution.

Thanks!

On 11/15/06, Maxim K. [email protected] wrote:


Thermal Creative
http://blog.thermalcreative.com

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs