For those people who, for various reasons, can’t or don’t want to
compile PHP with php-fpm (or for anyone who needs to spawn FCGI
processes in general), spawn-fcgi has been split out of Lighttpd into
its own project (message below).
-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Stefan BÃ¼hler firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: [lighttpd-announce] spawn-fcgi-1.6.0rc1-r16 prerelease
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 00:42:13 +0100
Prerelease of spawn-fcgi 1.6.0 (rc1-r16)
spawn-fcgi extracted into own project
There are several versions of spawn-fcgi (one in lighttpd 1.4.x, one in
and one in cherokee), which makes packaging very hard (e.g.: debian
spawn-fcgi from lighty as “spawn-fcgi.lighttpd” - which makes using it
complicated as your scripts are probably using “spawn-fcgi”…).
Additionally, keeping the sources and bug fixes synchronized is just too
work (ok, the one in cherokee isn’t our problem ).
Therefore we decided to split spawn-fcgi into a new project which will
with version 1.6.0 (and will be independent of lighttpd releases).
We plan to remove spawn-fcgi from lighttpd-1.4.x after the release of
You can find the new project at
In case you would like to test a spawn-fcgi version with more features
(options for chown the socket), see here:
http://cgit.stbuehler.de/gitosis/spawn-fcgi/about/ (needs glib)
- Removed limits for @-C phpchildren@ option, which now justs sets
@PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN@ if @phpchildren >= 0@ (default: ommited); php’s
is @PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN = 0@, which means that the master process is the
process. (not the same as @PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN = 1@, which results in one
master watching its child). Instead of using the @-C@ option you can now
set the environment var before invoking spawn-fcgi.
- Modified the log messages format
- SHA1 checksums:
- MD5 checksums:
- Separated spawn-fcgi from lighttpd
- Remove limits fÃ¼r php children; per default the PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN var
changed (php defaults to no children, one worker)
- Modified the log messages format (more details on errors, no source
- Only try to connect to unix socket (not tcp) before spawning (fixes
- Only disconnect from terminal in fork mode (keep stderr/stdout open in
- Allow numerical user and group ids for -u/-g (fixes #1141)
- Ignore pid-file option in no-fork mode (instead of producing empty
- Fix error handling for unix-socket-connect test