Sorting by score

Hi I think this is a very easy question but here goes:

I want to sort my results by a boolean field and then by score, I
thought this would be a default configuration but apparently not.

sort_fields = []
sort_fields << Ferret::Search::SortField.new(:sponsored, :reverse =>
:true)

that is my current code, how do iu alter it so that the results are then
sorted by highest score first?

thanks very much.
regards

caspar

On 10/17/06, Caspar Bl [email protected] wrote:

Hi I think this is a very easy question but here goes:

I want to sort my results by a boolean field and then by score, I
thought this would be a default configuration but apparently not.

> [this] is my current code, how do iu alter it so that the results are then > sorted by highest score first? > > sort_fields = [] > sort_fields < > :true) sort_fields << Ferret::Search::SortField::SCORE sort = Ferret::Search::Sort.new(sort_fields)

You can pass the array of SortFields as the :sort parameter or even a
sort string (“sponsored DESC, SCORE”).

Cheers,
Dave

sort_fields << Ferret::Search::SortField::SCORE
sort = Ferret::Search::Sort.new(sort_fields)

You can pass the array of SortFields as the :sort parameter or even a
sort string (“sponsored DESC, SCORE”).

maybe i’m just a total noob, but where can i put this?

here’s my search mothod …

@results = Record.multi_search(params[:search_terms], [ Link, Post 

], {:limit => :all})

hope that makes any sense :slight_smile:

Jon

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 07:53:39PM +0200, Jon D. wrote:

here’s my search mothod …

@results = Record.multi_search(params[:search_terms], [ Link, Post 

], {:limit => :all})

the :sort option belongs to the same hash as :limit.

here’s a sample from the aaf unit tests:

sorting = [ Ferret::Search::SortField.new(:id) ]
result = Content.multi_search(’*:title OR *:comment’,
[Comment],
:sort => sorting)

note that I don’t use the Sort class at all, an Array of SortFields is
ok.

Jens


Jens Krämer
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH
Schnorrstraße 76 | 01069 Dresden
Telefon +49 351 46766-0 | Telefax +49 351 46766-66
[email protected] | www.webit.de

Amtsgericht Dresden | HRB 15422
GF Sven Haubold, Hagen Malessa

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 08:56:07PM +0200, Jon D. wrote:

here’s a sample from the aaf unit tests:
sorry i’m so lame… i though we were sorting by score? my results
don’t seem to change when i put that in there. :slight_smile:

my fault, I just cut’n’pasted the code from the test.
replace the
sorting = …
line with:
sorting = [ Ferret::Search::SortField::SCORE ]

Jens


Jens Krämer
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH
Schnorrstraße 76 | 01069 Dresden
Telefon +49 351 46766-0 | Telefax +49 351 46766-66
[email protected] | www.webit.de

Amtsgericht Dresden | HRB 15422
GF Sven Haubold, Hagen Malessa

Jens K. wrote:

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 07:53:39PM +0200, Jon D. wrote:

here’s my search mothod …

@results = Record.multi_search(params[:search_terms], [ Link, Post 

], {:limit => :all})

the :sort option belongs to the same hash as :limit.

here’s a sample from the aaf unit tests:

sorting = [ Ferret::Search::SortField.new(:id) ]
result = Content.multi_search(’*:title OR *:comment’,
[Comment],
:sort => sorting)

note that I don’t use the Sort class at all, an Array of SortFields is
ok.

sorry i’m so lame… i though we were sorting by score? my results
don’t seem to change when i put that in there. :slight_smile:

Jon

Jens K. wrote:

my fault, I just cut’n’pasted the code from the test.
replace the
sorting = …
line with:
sorting = [ Ferret::Search::SortField::SCORE ]

so i must be giving you a headache. :frowning: when i put this in

sort = [ Ferret::Search::SortField::SCORE ]

it works just fine, but if i put this in

sort = [ Ferret::Search::SortField::SCORE(:reverse => true) ]

i get

undefined method `SCORE’ for Ferret::Search::SortField:Class

there’s probably something really really simple that i missed.

here’s the whole function for reference.

sort = [ Ferret::Search::SortField::SCORE(:reverse => true) ]
@results = Site.multi_search(params[:search_terms], [ Link, Post ], 

{:limit => :all, :sort => sort })

Hey …

try SCORE_REV instead of SCORE [1] … :slight_smile:

Ben

[1] http://ferret.davebalmain.com/api/classes/Ferret/Search/
SortField.html

Benjamin K. wrote:

Hey …

try SCORE_REV instead of SCORE [1] … :slight_smile:

Ben

[1] http://ferret.davebalmain.com/api/classes/Ferret/Search/
SortField.html

I tried that and seemed not to have any effect. does
Ferret::Search::SortField::SCORE reference the same thing as
result.ferret_score ?

Benjamin K. wrote:

did you try SortField.new(:score, :type => float, :reverse => true) ?

the score-sorting and the ferret_score should be the same …

Ben

that produces an error, first for the ‘float’ portion, then it says

Cannot sort by field “score”. It doesn’t exist in the index.

maybe i’m missing something in the Model… but if i just put

result.ferret_score, that works just fine… thanks for your help :slight_smile:

jon

On May 21, 2007, at 21:24, Jon D. wrote:

try SCORE_REV instead of SCORE [1] … :slight_smile:

Ben

[1] http://ferret.davebalmain.com/api/classes/Ferret/Search/
SortField.html

I tried that and seemed not to have any effect. does
Ferret::Search::SortField::SCORE reference the same thing as
result.ferret_score ?

that might be a bug… ? i never tried SCORE_REV …

did you try SortField.new(:score, :type => float, :reverse => true) ?

the score-sorting and the ferret_score should be the same …

Ben

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs