Smtp_tls 1.0.1 Released

smtp_tls version 1.0.1 has been released!

Provides SMTP STARTTLS support for Ruby 1.8.6 (built-in for 1.8.7+).
Simply
require ‘smtp_tls’ and use the Net::SMTP#enable_starttls method to talk
to
servers that use STARTTLS.

require ‘smtp_tls’

smtp = Net::SMTP.new address, port
smtp.enable_starttls
smtp.start Socket.gethostname, user, password, authentication do
|server|
server.send_message message, from, to
end

Changes:

1.0.1 / 2009-06-24

  • 1 bug fix
    • Fix indentation warning on 1.9

Provides SMTP STARTTLS support for Ruby 1.8.6 (built-in for 1.8.7+).

How can I install it for Ruby 1.8.7?

bash-3.2# gem install smtp_tls

    ERROR:  Error installing smtp_tls:

smtp_tls requires Ruby version ~> 1.8.6.0

bash-3.2# ruby -version

    ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-08 patchlevel 173) [i686-linux]

you don’t need to. 1.8.7 and up already support smtp+tls.

[email protected] ~/sources/study/ruby $ cat smtp_test.rb
require ‘smtp_tls’

puts “hello”
[email protected] ~/sources/study/ruby $ ruby smtp_test.rb
smtp_test.rb:1:in `require’: no such file to load – smtp_tls
(LoadError)
from smtp_test.rb:1

On Jun 25, 2009, at 02:05 , Andrey D. wrote:

bash-3.2# ruby -version

   ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-08 patchlevel 173) [i686-linux]

you don’t need to. 1.8.7 and up already support smtp+tls.

On Jun 25, 2009, at 06:20, Andrey D. wrote:

you don’t need to. 1.8.7 and up already support smtp+tls.

d[email protected] ~/sources/study/ruby $ cat smtp_test.rb
require ‘smtp_tls’

puts “hello”
[email protected] ~/sources/study/ruby $ ruby smtp_test.rb
smtp_test.rb:1:in `require’: no such file to load – smtp_tls
(LoadError)
from smtp_test.rb:1

a) you didn’t require ‘rubygems’
b) you don’t need to require ‘smtp_tls’ on ruby 1.8.7+. Just use
Net::SMTP’s TLS support like you normally would
c) Hint:

require ‘net/smtp’
begin
require ‘smtp_tls’
rescue LoadError
end

smtp = Net::SMTP.new address, port
smtp.enable_starttls
smtp.start Socket.gethostname, user, password, authentication do |
server|
server.send_message message, from, to
end

On Sep 2, 2009, at 12:24, Marcelo David wrote:

server.send_message message, from, to
end

Hi,
I did the example and got this error:

uninitialized constant Net::SMTP::OpenSSL

the error occurs when run smtp.enable_starttls

Same hit?

Do you have openssl?

$ ruby -ropenssl -e ‘puts “I have OpenSSL!”’
I have OpenSSL!

require ‘net/smtp’
begin
require ‘smtp_tls’
rescue LoadError
end

smtp = Net::SMTP.new address, port
smtp.enable_starttls
smtp.start Socket.gethostname, user, password, authentication do |
server|
server.send_message message, from, to
end

Hi,
I did the example and got this error:

uninitialized constant Net::SMTP::OpenSSL

the error occurs when run smtp.enable_starttls

Same hit?

Eric H. wrote:

On Sep 2, 2009, at 12:24, Marcelo David wrote:

server.send_message message, from, to
end

Hi,
I did the example and got this error:

uninitialized constant Net::SMTP::OpenSSL

the error occurs when run smtp.enable_starttls

Same hit?

Do you have openssl?

$ ruby -ropenssl -e ‘puts “I have OpenSSL!”’
I have OpenSSL!

Thanks Eric.

I got “no such file to load – openssl (LoadError)”

Then I used (on ubuntu 9.4):

sudo apt-get install libopenssl-ruby libssl0.9.8

And Not resolved.

I’m using ruby 1.9.1p0.

Marcelo David wrote:

Eric H. wrote:

On Sep 2, 2009, at 12:24, Marcelo David wrote:

server.send_message message, from, to
end

Hi,
I did the example and got this error:

uninitialized constant Net::SMTP::OpenSSL

the error occurs when run smtp.enable_starttls

Same hit?

Do you have openssl?

$ ruby -ropenssl -e ‘puts “I have OpenSSL!”’
I have OpenSSL!

Thanks Eric.

I got “no such file to load – openssl (LoadError)”

Then I used (on ubuntu 9.4):

sudo apt-get install libopenssl-ruby libssl0.9.8

And Not resolved.

I’m using ruby 1.9.1p0.

Eric,

I removed ruby 1.9 and used apt-get to install 1.8.7 with libs:

$ sudo apt-get install ruby irb rdoc rake rubygems libopenssl-ruby1.8
libssl0.9.8

That works!!!

Thanks

On Sep 3, 2009, at 04:33, Marcelo David wrote:

Eric,

I removed ruby 1.9 and used apt-get to install 1.8.7 with libs:

$ sudo apt-get install ruby irb rdoc rake rubygems libopenssl-ruby1.8
libssl0.9.8

You’re probably not using the smtp_tls gem then:

$ gem list -dr smtp_tls

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

smtp_tls (1.0.3)
Authors: Eric H., Kyle M.
Rubyforge: http://rubyforge.org/projects/seattlerb
Homepage: http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org/smtp_tls

 Provides SMTP STARTTLS support for Ruby 1.8.6 (built-in for 1.8.7+)
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Eric H. wrote:

On Sep 3, 2009, at 04:33, Marcelo David wrote:

Eric,

I removed ruby 1.9 and used apt-get to install 1.8.7 with libs:

$ sudo apt-get install ruby irb rdoc rake rubygems libopenssl-ruby1.8
libssl0.9.8

You’re probably not using the smtp_tls gem then:

$ gem list -dr smtp_tls

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

smtp_tls (1.0.3)
Authors: Eric H., Kyle M.
Rubyforge: http://rubyforge.org/projects/seattlerb
Homepage: http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org/smtp_tls

 Provides SMTP STARTTLS support for Ruby 1.8.6 (built-in for 1.8.7+)
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Eric,

Excuse me my poor english. I tried to say when I uninstall ruby 1.9 and
reinstalled using apt-get to ruby 1.8.7, the problem was resolved. Now
with ‘gem list -dr smtp_tls’ like you sugested, I have the message
above, than, thats all right.

Thank you very much.