[slightly OT] Problem with subversion 1.3.1 on OSX Tiger

I have a subversion repo on a Debian Sarge server. I do rails
development on two Debian workstations (home, work) and also a
MacBookPro.

I installed subversion from Darwinports. Things worked ok for a while
and I did commits from and updates to all three machines until today.
When I did svn status I noticed a lock on the working dir.

$ svn status
? Rakefile
? readme
! L .
… etc

I cannot seem to get rid of the lock.

If I try to commit, I get…
svn commit -m “finished registration controller”
svn: Working copy ‘/projects/ror/sr’ locked
svn: run ‘svn cleanup’ to remove locks (type ‘svn help cleanup’ for
details)

If I try
$svn cleanup
svn: In directory ‘.’
svn: Can’t copy ‘.svn/tmp/text-base/Rakefile.svn-base’ to
‘Rakefile.tmp’: No such file or directory

Though it complains I still see a new file in the working dir
Rakefile.tmp

If I try copying the entire dir to the Debian box and try to commit
from there I get the same lock and ofcourse all .svn dirs show up as
:2esvn or some such thing…I suspect unicode problem?

Searching on svn user list I found a msg about a similar problem where
some one suggested using
sudo fs_usage -w | grep svn in one terminal and then doing the commit
from another. However I didn’t find any chfags (I am still not sure
what chflags are) set by svn.

I appreciate any help on this.

TIA,

bakki

I am seeing this also. We should look to get a thread started on the
subversion lists.

On 17-jun-2006, at 19:44, TGS wrote:

I am seeing this also. We should look to get a thread started on
the subversion lists.

On Jun 15, 2006, at 11:21 PM, Bakki K. wrote:

If I try to commit, I get…
svn commit -m “finished registration controller”
svn: Working copy ‘/projects/ror/sr’ locked
svn: run ‘svn cleanup’ to remove locks (type ‘svn help cleanup’
for details)

Had to deal with similar problem any times. Usually I just don’t
bother and do the folowing:

mkdir /tmp/borked
rsync -arvz ./ /tmp/borked/ --exclude ‘.svn’
cd …/
rm -rf borked_checkout # name of your checkout here
svn checkout http://secret-server/app app
cd app
rsync -arvz /tmp/borked/ ./

Works 100%. Cleans up all of the commit problems - just commit
normally after that.


Julian ‘Julik’ Tarkhanov
please send all personal mail to
me at julik.nl

I tried this a bit differenty - I copied to a fresh dir but on Debian
but I got into a lot of unicode problems where .svn would be :2esvn
etc. This sounds like a plan. I’ll try it when I get back.
Thanks for your input.

bakki

I have posted the same msg there also.

bakki

Julian,

On 6/17/06, Julian ‘Julik’ Tarkhanov [email protected] wrote:

rsync -arvz /tmp/borked/ ./

Works 100%. Cleans up all of the commit problems - just commit
normally after that.

Thank you very much for this suggestion. It worked great for me. I
also traced the problem I was having to a case collision. I think the
pre1.1 rails created a ‘readme’ file at the project root and now it
creates a ‘README’. (I am not 100% sure of the source of the ‘readme’
file) I had started the project before Rails1.1 and when I upgraded
and did a rake upgrade I think the 'README" was created. Actually the
contents of the readme/README files are also different. This works
fine on Linux for commits but on OSX the case collison caused the
commit to bork and left a lock on the dir.

-bakki

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs