SIMPLE! and INTUITIVE! GUI BUILDER for RUBY?

Is there any, SIMPLE software that I can use to build GRAPHIC INTERFACES
for Ruby scripts? a kind of VISUALbasic or REALbasic or even Xcode
alike?

I know I’ve asked this before, BUT! I forgot to mention… I’m a graphic
designer, NOT A PROGRAMMER! I use Mac not LINUX, so don’t know anything
about compiling and that things. I’m used to double click on icons and
things “magically happen” Did I made myself clear?

I’ve browsing many sites that has this “so called” simple applications,
BUT! is there anything really simple that I don’t have to build,
compile, bind or whatever other “strange” thing?

I really felt in love with RUBY, I think I’m doing very well with it,
but I would like to apply its power through something else beside
terminals or pure script. For example I can make a simple yet fully
functional WordProcessor within hours in RealBasic, I would like to use
the power of Ruby for handling text in a more “VISUAL WAY”.

I’m in a point that would be very frustrating to put my learned
knowledge about Ruby in the Trash can, help!!!

On May 6, 2007, at 2:33 AM, gcarcass wrote:

things “magically happen” Did I made myself clear?
use
the power of Ruby for handling text in a more “VISUAL WAY”.

I’m in a point that would be very frustrating to put my learned
knowledge about Ruby in the Trash can, help!!!

Try Platypus

On May 5, 1:45 pm, [email protected] (Peter S.) wrote:

functional WordProcessor within hours in RealBasic, I would like to use
A few hours or days put into learning a new thing is just about always
worth it.

-s

I can understand both sides of this argument. As a person with a
decent amount of programming experience for console scripting apps I
love to use Ruby. It’s quick coding, intuitive, and just feels right
for what I am trying to pull off. But for GUI apps I have tried Qt,
GTK, Tk, etc. with Ruby and been frustrated. Sure, ultimately I can
pull something off, but the toolkits’ look and feel plus the lack of a
truly drag and drop IDE left me looking elsewhere. I must preface my
statements by saying that I code for Windows clients for the most part
due to the business environment that’s my target audience. Sure I go
back with Linux to around 1997 era Slackware, but it’s not where my
bread is buttered nowadays. Trying to get Ruby and Qt 4 built in
Windows left me bailing out a few years ago in favor of C# in Visual
Studio 2005. Although the C# language itself has me jumping through
more than few more syntactical hoops compared to Ruby the ease of
creating a GUI application can’t be beaten. And the widget set is so
much cleaner than what I’ve created using Qt, GTK, Tk, etc. As a
language a programmer is so much more productive and responsive using
Ruby. Less code, more readable source, and all the good things
everyone says. But for creating GUI apps with drag and drop controls I
haven’t come across anything yet that beats using Visual C# right in
VS 2005. I have read about Sapphire in Steel (I think that’s the name)
which adds Ruby as a plug-in into VS 2005. But does it also allow
the .NET controls to be used through the same drag and drop style? If
so then perhaps that might be a good route…

“gregarican” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I have read about Sapphire in Steel (I think that’s the name)

Ruby In Steel from SapphireSteel Software. Close though :wink:

which adds Ruby as a plug-in into VS 2005. But does it also allow
the .NET controls to be used through the same drag and drop style?

Currently we don’t support direct Ruby compilation to the CLR. That may
change when MS introduces IronRuby. We have announced a Visual Rails
edition
to assist in Rails Web page design (coming in a couple of months) and if
you
want to use the VS form designer to interface with Ruby we’ll be
announcing
something later in the year that may be of interest.

best wishes
Huw C.

http://www.sapphiresteel.com
Ruby P.ming In Visual Studio 2005

In message [email protected], gcarcass
writes:

I know I’ve asked this before, BUT! I forgot to mention… I’m a graphic
designer, NOT A PROGRAMMER! I use Mac not LINUX, so don’t know anything
about compiling and that things. I’m used to double click on icons and
things “magically happen” Did I made myself clear?

Yes.

Why not just learn something?

I’ve browsing many sites that has this “so called” simple applications,
BUT! is there anything really simple that I don’t have to build,
compile, bind or whatever other “strange” thing?

Well, Ruby apps don’t require any of that to run. You just run the
interpreter on them.

I really felt in love with RUBY, I think I’m doing very well with it,
but I would like to apply its power through something else beside
terminals or pure script. For example I can make a simple yet fully
functional WordProcessor within hours in RealBasic, I would like to use
the power of Ruby for handling text in a more “VISUAL WAY”.

I’m in a point that would be very frustrating to put my learned
knowledge about Ruby in the Trash can, help!!!

There comes a time when you have to decide whether or not you want to
get serious about an art form. How would you feel if someone came to
a graphic designer meeting, and explained that he’s a programmer, not
an artist, and he doesn’t want to have to deal with concepts like
perspective, or framing, or aesthetic appeal?

gcarcass wrote:

BUT! is there anything really simple that I don’t have to build,

WideStudio is an open source, Integrated Development Environment for
desktop applications purely made in Japan. This enables you to develop
GUI applications that can run on Windows95/98/Me/NT/2000/Xp, WindowsCE,
Linux, FreeBSD, SOLARIS, MacOSX(w/X11), BTRON, T-Engine,
mu-CLinux(wo/X11) in various programming languages such as C/C++, Java,
Perl, Ruby, Python,Objective Caml
Since an application is build on MWT(Multi-Platform Widget Toolkit)
which runs on multiple platforms, WideStudio applications are all source
compatible between these platforms. If you developped an application in
C/C++ language, you only need to re-compile the source code to run on a
different platform in as native code.

unknown wrote:

There comes a time when you have to decide whether or not you want to
get serious about an art form. How would you feel if someone came to
a graphic designer meeting, and explained that he’s a programmer, not
an artist, and he doesn’t want to have to deal with concepts like
perspective, or framing, or aesthetic appeal?

A few hours or days put into learning a new thing is just about always
worth it.

-s

Yeap, I guess you are right, actualli it is a good advice, I’ll try to
do something about it, though don(t have much time, but anyway an
interesting challenge.

John J., mmmm I was hoping for something more visual like
Visualstudio or REALbasic, but anyway thanks for the reply.

Huw C., I will be waiting for this “later in the year”
announces, it might be what I’m looking for.

Greg Kujawa, that’s a hell of a good explanation, finally someone who
speaks clearly, thanks a lot!

Well, thanks guys I appreciate the replies.

On 5/5/07, gcarcass [email protected] wrote:

Is there any, SIMPLE software that I can use to build GRAPHIC INTERFACES
for Ruby scripts? a kind of VISUALbasic or REALbasic or even Xcode
alike?

I don’t pretend to be a ruby GUI programmer, but I understand that
both Qt and GTK have visual editors which can be used to design a
language-neutral GUI description file. It should be possible to then
load such a file using the Ruby bindings. But this is not something I
have done; so I don’t know what, if any, problems there are with such
an approach.

You are right. For example there is Glade for GTK which allows quite
easy and visual design of windows and other stuff. Glade saves your
work to a XML file and then opening it in Ruby is trivial. Works
pretty well, I didn’t have any problems. I could say that it’s little
less convenient than using Visual Studio. Programming model is the
same - event-driven.

http://www.widestudio.org/

WideStudio is an open source, Integrated Development Environment for
desktop applications purely made in Japan. This enables you to develop
GUI applications that can run on Windows95/98/Me/NT/2000/Xp, WindowsCE,
Linux, FreeBSD, SOLARIS, MacOSX(w/X11), BTRON, T-Engine,
mu-CLinux(wo/X11) in various programming languages such as C/C++, Java,
Perl, Ruby, Python,Objective Caml
Since an application is build on MWT(Multi-Platform Widget Toolkit)
which runs on multiple platforms, WideStudio applications are all source
compatible between these platforms. If you developped an application in
C/C++ language, you only need to re-compile the source code to run on a
different platform in as native code.

Thanks!! It might be just what I was looking for, the only problem is I
cannot make it run, the OSX installer does not work and I’m making some
mistakes in the compile and building process, anyway I’ll keep trying.

[email protected] wrote:

You are right. For example there is Glade for GTK which allows quite
easy and visual design of windows and other stuff. Glade saves your
work to a XML file and then opening it in Ruby is trivial. Works
pretty well, I didn’t have any problems. I could say that it’s little
less convenient than using Visual Studio. Programming model is the
same - event-driven.

Thanks!!
I’ve been looking for an OSX version, but it seems there is not. Any
clues?

Sherm P. wrote:

Sorry if this sounds kind of harsh, but it sounds like you want to have
your
cake and eat it too. You want to write software without having to
actually
do any programming, and it just doesn’t work that way. What would you
say to
someone who “just” wanted a nice logo, but expected to somehow create
one
without knowing a thing about graphic design?

sherm–

Sherm:

Thanks for your mail, and actually it is not Harsh at all, I think it
was just what I needed a strong kick on my ass to wake up and realize a
few things, I guess the problem in which I’m involve (in which I have to
learn and do many things in a very short period of time) is exasperating
me.

Seriously, thanks for your mail, actually until last week things inside
the computer happened magically, and today I downloaded wxWidgets and
wxRuby, compiled and built it, and it worked!!! maybe for you guys does
not sound the big deal, but for me it was quite a challenge. I hope I
can still count with your support in the future.

Thanks again!

Guaton C. [email protected] writes:

today I downloaded wxWidgets and
wxRuby, compiled and built it, and it worked!!! maybe for you guys does
not sound the big deal

Actually, I remember my own “aha!” moment like that very vividly, and it
was indeed a huge deal! It was then that I realized that I was no
longer
required to simply accept what the computer could do out of the box; all
of a sudden, infinite possibilities were opened up.

It’s a magical moment - congratulations on achieving it.

sherm–

gcarcass [email protected] writes:

Is there any, SIMPLE software that I can use to build GRAPHIC INTERFACES
for Ruby scripts? a kind of VISUALbasic or REALbasic or even Xcode
alike?

Stupid question maybe, but why look for something “like” Xcode, when you
could just use Xcode?

<http://rubycocoa.sourceforge.net/>

I know I’ve asked this before, BUT! I forgot to mention… I’m a graphic
designer, NOT A@PROGRAMMER!

There’s programming involved in the creation of any application. Whether
you do that part yourself, or focus solely on interface design and team
up
with a programmer who does the rest, is up to you.

I use Mac not LINUX, so don’t know anything
about compiling and that things.

Since when does using a Mac mean not knowing how to program? Where do
you
think Mac software comes from? For that matter, since when does using
Linux
mean having to know how to program?

I’ve browsing many sites that has this “so called” simple applications,
BUT! is there anything really simple that I don’t have to build,
compile, bind or whatever other “strange” thing?

I want a logo for my web site. Is there anything really simple that I
don’t
have to draw, sketch, render, or whatever other “strange” thing?

On Sun, 6 May 2007, gcarcass wrote:

Is there any, SIMPLE software that I can use to build GRAPHIC INTERFACES
for Ruby scripts? a kind of VISUALbasic or REALbasic or even Xcode
alike?

If you really care about SIMPLE, EASY, and INTUITIVE…

Has the thought occurred to you that a well thought out command line
interface is simpler to use, integrates superbly with other
applications and takes easily a full order of magnitude less time to
write & debug than a GUI even with the best GUI builders?

Just putting my 2c worth in favour of utter simplicity.

No software is faster than no software.

John C. Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
PO Box 1645 Christchurch Email : [email protected]
New Zealand

On May 7, 2007, at 7:52 AM, Guaton C. wrote:

clues?
You can download the source code and follow some simple instructions:

  1. unzip/untar the file
  2. open up terminal
  3. cd to the directory (ls to list, cd directory to move to that
    directory)
  4. type ./configure
  5. type make
  6. type sudo make install
  7. type your password
  8. presto

--------------------------------------------|
If you’re not living on the edge,
then you’re just wasting space.

On Sun, 6 May 2007, gcarcass wrote:

Is there any, SIMPLE software that I can use to build GRAPHIC INTERFACES
for Ruby scripts? a kind of VISUALbasic or REALbasic or even Xcode
alike?

Ah yes.

And while I’m derailing you train of thought…

The teeniest bit of surgery will cut the command line head off an app
and place a CGI one on it.

Why install you app when you can clip it to your webserver an deliver
it to The World Instantly.

The browser is the GUI.

Please read “Magic Ink” before you get overwhelmed by the desire for
interactivity. It’s highly overrated.

http://worrydream.com/MagicInk/

Hokay.

So you really really want a GUI and you won’t let me stand between
yourself and your sado-masochistic desire for inducing, in yourself
and your user, pain and complication.

Write a firefox extension.

In ruby.

HTML+XUL for the layout. CSS for the presentation Javascript for the
interactivity and Ruby the engine to do the work.

On 5/8/07, John C. [email protected] wrote:

In ruby.

HTML+XUL for the layout. CSS for the presentation Javascript for the
interactivity and Ruby the engine to do the work.

Argh! Did you say Javascript??

On May 8, 2007, at 8:02 AM, John C. wrote:

interface is simpler to use, integrates superbly with other
New Zealand

All depends on what you want to do. Command line interfaces do not
get used by the general public!
GUI apps do.

On May 7, 7:13 pm, John J. [email protected]
wrote:

for Ruby scripts? a kind of VISUALbasic or REALbasic or even Xcode

Maybe that’s why I had had so much trouble getting on Gopher lately.
When I went to vent to my favorite sysop I couldn’t get into my
favorite Wildcat BBS either :-)~