Setting directory ruby is compiled to (BCC32 & Ruby 1.8.4)

I have Ruby compiling fine using Borlands (free) C compiler for Windows.
The only problem is I can’t set where ruby is compiled to, it just
installs it to the current directory (c:\ruby\src\ruby-1.8.4\bcc32).
Normally you can add --prefix=c:\ruby\bin to the configure command and
that sets the directory.

configure --prefix=c:\ruby\bin
make
make test
make install

I don’t use C much so it maybe something basic…

Many thanks, K.

Is there anyone who is using BCC to compile Ruby, I know the standard
appears to be MS Visual C/C++.

Kris L. wrote:

I have Ruby compiling fine using Borlands (free) C compiler for Windows.
The only problem is I can’t set where ruby is compiled to, it just
installs it to the current directory (c:\ruby\src\ruby-1.8.4\bcc32).
Normally you can add --prefix=c:\ruby\bin to the configure command and
that sets the directory.

configure --prefix=c:\ruby\bin
make
make test
make install

I don’t use C much so it maybe something basic…

Many thanks, K.

Hi,

At Thu, 15 Jun 2006 05:10:33 +0900,
Kris L. wrote in [ruby-talk:197320]:

configure --prefix=c:\ruby\bin

prefix has no effects on Windows at all.

make
make test
make DESTDIR=/path/to/anywhere/you/like/to install

unknown wrote:

Hi,

At Thu, 15 Jun 2006 05:10:33 +0900,
Kris L. wrote in [ruby-talk:197320]:

configure --prefix=c:\ruby\bin

prefix has no effects on Windows at all.

It seemed to using djgpp. Anyways using BCC32 I finally found out:
full_path_to_bcc32\configure
make
make DESTDIR=c:\ruby install

make
make test
make DESTDIR=/path/to/anywhere/you/like/to install

Hi,

At Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:53:54 +0900,
Kris L. wrote in [ruby-talk:198001]:

It does not look like BCC32 has the correct configure files. It will
compile Ruby.exe but does not for some reason generate files like
strscan.so which should appear in the lib/1.8/i386-bcc32 (i think thats
correct, its somewhere in lib anyway). A simple helloworld will run, but
anything more and strscan gets used.

configure is a shell script, so it can’t run on Windows. There
is bcc32/configure.bat for bcc32 instead.

It does not look like BCC32 has the correct configure files. It will
compile Ruby.exe but does not for some reason generate files like
strscan.so which should appear in the lib/1.8/i386-bcc32 (i think thats
correct, its somewhere in lib anyway). A simple helloworld will run, but
anything more and strscan gets used.

If I copy strscan from a pre-compiled version (I think which uses Visual
C) I get an error about not being able to find init__strscan.

Nobuyoshi N. wrote:

Hi,

At Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:53:54 +0900,
Kris L. wrote in [ruby-talk:198001]:

It does not look like BCC32 has the correct configure files. It will
compile Ruby.exe but does not for some reason generate files like
strscan.so which should appear in the lib/1.8/i386-bcc32 (i think thats
correct, its somewhere in lib anyway). A simple helloworld will run, but
anything more and strscan gets used.

configure is a shell script, so it can’t run on Windows. There
is bcc32/configure.bat for bcc32 instead.

That is what I have been using :slight_smile:

Can anyone confirm that is it possible to compile 1.8.4 or 1.8.2 with
Borland BCC32?

Thanks.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs