Setting an environment variable (for libxml2)


#1

because i plane to use XML Catalog, i have to set an environment
variable “XML_CATALOG_FILES” to the path the catalogs reside.

then if i do :

ENV[‘XML_CATALOG_FILES’]="/path/to/catalogs"

does this env var be accessible by libxml2 and ruby-libxml ?

obviously, if i print back :
ENV.each { |k,v| p “#{k} => #{v}”}

i get it.

when i say accessible from libxml2/ruby-libxml it is only when those are
called from a ruby script…


#2

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 04:53 +0900, Une bévue wrote:

because i plane to use XML Catalog, i have to set an environment
variable “XML_CATALOG_FILES” to the path the catalogs reside.

then if i do :

ENV[‘XML_CATALOG_FILES’]="/path/to/catalogs"

does this env var be accessible by libxml2 and ruby-libxml ?

I’m not absolutely certain, but I don’t think the change will be noticed
by libxml2/-ruby . Some quick experiments seem to bear this out, but
YMMV…


#3

On Mar 9, 2006, at 2:53 PM, Une bévue wrote:

ENV.each { |k,v| p “#{k} => #{v}”}

i get it.

when i say accessible from libxml2/ruby-libxml it is only when
those are
called from a ruby script…

une bévue

What you probably need to do is split your script in twain, 1 that
sets up the environment and one that does the work, eg:

logan:/Users/logan/Projects/Ruby Experiments% cat env1.rb
ENV[“CUSTOM_ENV_VAR”] = “Hello”

exec(“ruby env2.rb”)
logan:/Users/logan/Projects/Ruby Experiments% cat env2.rb
puts “Custom ENV var is #{ENV[“CUSTOM_ENV_VAR”]}”
logan:/Users/logan/Projects/Ruby Experiments% ruby env1.rb
Custom ENV var is Hello


#4

Logan C. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

logan:/Users/logan/Projects/Ruby Experiments% ruby env1.rb
Custom ENV var is Hello

ok, i see what u mean, i’ve done that with java to set, internaly, the
class path…

i need somehow an app launcher to setup the ENV correctly…