Job Title: SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (RUBY ON RAILS)
Type of Job: Full Time
Location: Toronto, Canada
Our mission is to make hourly work easier for local businesses and their employees. Homebase currently serves more than 100,000 small (but mighty) businesses with everything they need to manage their hourly teams: employee scheduling, time clocks, team communication, hiring, onboarding, and compliance. We are not Human Capital Management. We are not HR Software. We’re tools built for the busiest businesses, so owners and employees can spend less time on paperwork and more time on what matters. The Homebase team brings small business expertise from Intuit, Square, OpenTable, Yelp, Gusto, and First Data. Based in San Francisco, Houston, and expanding to Toronto, Homebase is backed by leading venture investors Bain Capital Ventures, Baseline Ventures, Cowboy Ventures, and Khosla Ventures.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will design and implement software solutions that enhance the value of the Homebase software platform and impact the lives of our customers. You will play a leading technical role in our engineering practice.
- You’ll drive product engineering end-to-end for the web and API software components that make up our product platform.
- You will contribute to the evolution of our current engineering strategy and development process.
- Your challenge will be to build a variety of web software applications and advance our existing software architecture, as well as continue to extend our existing APIs
- You will have the opportunity to impact our software architecture by evaluating emerging and existing technologies
- You will work independently with little supervision and mentor junior software engineers
- You will work very closely with product and design, iterating through different solutions from a product and design perspective, and tie everything back to engineering costs
- 5+ years of Web Software Engineering experience
- 2+ years of experience in MVC software framework: Ruby and Rails or experience with a full-stack backend framework such as Spring and proven ability to learn new frameworks and languages.
- Expert understanding of object-oriented software design and design patterns, and how they apply to the frameworks listed above
- Expert understanding of SQL and data modeling for scalability and performance.
- Cloud computing/Amazon Web Services
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering disciplines or equivalent required
Nice to Have
- Able to compare various languages and frameworks objectively.
- An eye for good design and the ability to implement ‘pixel perfect’ UI designs.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of Git, Github, and development using pull requests.
What We Offer You
- Supplemental Benefits
- Stock Options - Everyone is an owner
- Fun Team Activities
- A dynamic, well-connected, productive team that is thriving while working from home and who have found new ways to connect and have fun despite social distancing