Sending rails errors to rspec output

I am using Capybara in combination with rspec for integration testing
of rails apps.

I would like any errors (routing errors, errors in a controller,
anything) generated during a test to be printed the same as “puts”
statements in rspec’s output. Is this possible? Additionally, is this
a reasonable idea, or am I just being silly?

On Dec 16, 2011, at 8:46 AM, LeeQ wrote:

I am using Capybara in combination with rspec for integration testing
of rails apps.

Even though you are using Capybara, they are still just specs. No reason
why “puts” won’t work.

Puts does work. That’s not what I’m looking for.

I want all error messages (like undefined local variable or methodjunk’
for…) to show up in my rspec out put in *the same way as*puts`.

On Dec 22, 2011, at 8:25 AM, LeeQ wrote:

Puts does work. That’s not what I’m looking for.

I want all error messages (like undefined local variable or methodjunk’
for…) to show up in my rspec out put in the same way asputs`.


rspec-users mailing list
[email protected]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/rspec-users

So basically you want the exception message to display in the output,
but then have things “continue on” like it wasn’t an exception?

I don’t see the point in that, but you could do it with rescue.

On Dec 22, 2011, at 11:33 AM, LeeQ wrote:

Ah, I see what you are saying. But no, I still want the exception to act like
an exception. My problem is that I’ll have a test fail for reasons unknown, and I
then I need to open the test logs to find the exception. I’d like those
exceptions to show up in my test output so I don’t have to dig for
them._______________________________________________
rspec-users mailing list
[email protected]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/rspec-users

Okay I see what you’re talking about now. Take a look at this:

https://github.com/jnicklas/capybara/issues/358

On Dec 22, 2011, at 12:33 PM, LeeQ [email protected] wrote:

Ah, I see what you are saying. But no, I still want the exception to act like
an exception. My problem is that I’ll have a test fail for reasons unknown, and I
then I need to open the test logs to find the exception. I’d like those
exceptions to show up in my test output so I don’t have to dig for them.


rspec-users mailing list
[email protected]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/rspec-users

You need to configure the logger to log to standard out. Check out this
link & modify as appropriate for your Rails version:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4800032/how-to-change-the-rails-logger-to-use-standard-out-from-rake-tasks-rails2

Pat

Ah, I see what you are saying. But no, I still want the exception to
act
like an exception. My problem is that I’ll have a test fail for reasons
unknown, and I then I need to open the test logs to find the exception.
I’d like those exceptions to show up in my test output so I don’t have
to
dig for them.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs