More info please :slight_smile:

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Mohammad A.
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:33 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Ironruby-core] Seems like it is loading from the Ruby
libraries instead of IronRuby gems

Mohammad A.
MVP (Microsoft Valuable Professional)
www.highoncoding.comhttp://www.highoncoding.com
www.azamsharp.comhttp://www.azamsharp.com

I uninstall Ruby spec gem and it worked fine. Seems like when spec gem
is
installed on IronRuby and Ruby then IronRuby looks in the Ruby folder
for
the gem.

Seems like when spec gem is installed on IronRuby and Ruby then IronRuby looks in the Ruby folder for the gem.

No, that’s not a correct assumption. :slight_smile: RubyGems will look for gems in a
path relative to itself if the GEM_PATH environment variable isn’t set.
If it is set (which dev.bat sets it), then RubyGems will always look on
that path, regardless of what Ruby implementation you use.

Are you running IronRuby from a dev.bat prompt, or some other way? If
that’s not the behavior you want, make sure to unset that variable at
the command line (set GEM_PATH=) or from your Ruby scripts themselves
(ENV[‘GEM_PATH’] = nil), but the latter is preferred.

~js

[[email protected]] on behalf of Mohammad A.
[[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:08 PM
To: [email protected]
libraries instead of IronRuby gems

I uninstall Ruby spec gem and it worked fine. Seems like when spec gem
is installed on IronRuby and Ruby then IronRuby looks in the Ruby folder
for the gem.

From:
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]

Mohammad A.
MVP (Microsoft Valuable Professional)
www.highoncoding.comhttp://www.highoncoding.com
www.azamsharp.comhttp://www.azamsharp.com

What are the values of gem_path and gem_home?

Sent from my iPhone

http://github.com/ironruby/ironruby/blob/master/Merlin/Main/Languages/Ruby/Scripts/Dev.bat#L16

GEM_PATH is set to the gems path in the Ruby stdlibs that are checked
into the IronRuby source; GEM_HOME isn’t set since we want the
implementations to still install them to their own directory. (GEM_HOME
tells RubyGems where to install gems, and GEM_PATH tells it where to
load them from).

Again, this is just for the developer environment.

~js

[[email protected]] on behalf of Ryan R.
[[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:35 PM
To: [email protected]
libraries instead of IronRuby gems

What are the values of gem_path and gem_home?

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 22, 2009, at 11:08 PM, Mohammad A.
<[email protected]mailto:[email protected]> wrote:

I uninstall Ruby spec gem and it worked fine. Seems like when spec gem
is installed on IronRuby and Ruby then IronRuby looks in the Ruby folder
for the gem.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Jim D.
<mailto:[email protected][email protected]mailto:[email protected]>

From: mailto:[email protected]
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]
libraries instead of IronRuby gems

Mohammad A.
MVP (Microsoft Valuable Professional)
http://www.highoncoding.comwww.highoncoding.comhttp://www.highoncoding.com
http://www.azamsharp.comwww.azamsharp.comhttp://www.azamsharp.com

Ironruby-core mailing list
mailto:[email protected][email protected]mailto:[email protected]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/ironruby-corehttp://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/ironruby-core

Mohammad A.
MVP (Microsoft Valuable Professional)
http://www.highoncoding.comwww.highoncoding.comhttp://www.highoncoding.com
http://www.azamsharp.comwww.azamsharp.comhttp://www.azamsharp.com

Here is the output:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\azamsharp>echo %GEM_PATH%
%GEM_PATH%

C:\Users\azamsharp>where ir
C:\DevTools\IronRuby\ironruby\Merlin\Main\bin\Debug\ir.exe

C:\Users\azamsharp>where ruby
c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe

C:\Users\azamsharp>where csc.exe
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\csc.exe

C:\Users\azamsharp>where resgen
INFO: Could not find files for the given pattern(s).

C:\Users\azamsharp>echo %MERLIN_ROOT%
%MERLIN_ROOT%

C:\Users\azamsharp>echo %PATH%

Mohammed
Can you send me the output of these commands?

echo %GEM_PATH%
where ir
where ruby
where csc.exe
where resgen
echo %MERLIN_ROOT%
echo %PATH%

So I can tell you what should be in there for it to work properly
thanks

Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 6:46 AM, Jimmy S. <

I have ran dev.bat several times but it does not do anything. No entries
were made in the environment variables so I had to manually go and do
the
entries.
Also, as soon as I uninstall the MRI spec it all started working fine!

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Jimmy S. <

I am running this from command line shell of windows (cmd.exe)
Thanks,
Azam

Are you running from a Powershell prompt? It seems so, because your
output tells me that you’re creating a sub-shell where the environment
variables do get set, but then that sub-shell goes away.

To fix this you’ll need a Powershell version of dev.bat. We have several
floating around - am sure folks can point you to the right one.

Thanks,
-John

[email protected]mailto:[email protected]

Mohammad A.
MVP (Microsoft Valuable Professional)
www.highoncoding.comhttp://www.highoncoding.com
www.azamsharp.comhttp://www.azamsharp.com

Ironruby-core mailing list
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]

Mohammad A.
MVP (Microsoft Valuable Professional)
www.highoncoding.comhttp://www.highoncoding.com
www.azamsharp.comhttp://www.azamsharp.com

The easiest one is at
/path/to/merlin/main/languages/ruby/scripts/powershell/dev.ps1

JD

[email protected]mailto:[email protected]

Mohammad A.
MVP (Microsoft Valuable Professional)
www.highoncoding.comhttp://www.highoncoding.com
www.azamsharp.comhttp://www.azamsharp.com

Ironruby-core mailing list
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]

Mohammad A.
MVP (Microsoft Valuable Professional)
www.highoncoding.comhttp://www.highoncoding.com
www.azamsharp.comhttp://www.azamsharp.com

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Ryan R.
[email protected]wrote:

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Mohammad A. [email protected]wrote:

I am running this from command line shell of windows (cmd.exe)

You should run dev.bat instead of cmd.exe. dev.bat sets those variables
each time it starts up but doesn’t add the variables permanently to your
environment.

In other words, dev.bat wraps cmd.exe and adds several elements such as
environment variables and the start path for easier development without
affecting your current environment variables.

Ryan

wrote:

I am running this from command line shell of windows (cmd.exe)

You should run dev.bat instead of cmd.exe. dev.bat sets those variables
each
time it starts up but doesn’t add the variables permanently to your
environment.

Ryan

I’d be interested in the powershell script I’ve found the alias script
but
haven’t found the dev.ps1 script
Ok and to fix what you are seeing. Because I don’t think you’re
interested
on developing on ironruby as to with ironruby. So you just want a
working
ironruby package and not have to deal with dev.bat etc.

is to make sure you have a release build. either with visual studio or
by
doing rake compile:all configuration=release
ensure your MRI contains the pathname2 gem

if you have files in C:\ironruby that you want to keep take a backup of
the
folder.

Then execute

  rake package

in C:\devtools\ironruby\ironruby

That will copy the files of a binary distribution to C:\ironruby

if you then remove the variables you have set up earlier and place
C:\ironruby\bin in the PATH (via system properties - environment
variables)

You should be all good from now on.

If you installed gems you can either reinstall them or copy the contents
of

C:\
devtools\ironruby\ironruby\Merlin\External.LCA_RESTRICTED\Languages\Ruby\redist-libs\ironruby\gems\1.8
C:\ironruby\lib\IronRuby\gems\1.8

You now have a working ironruby distribution

key words:
=> release build
=> PATH variable through system properties
=> rake package