SDR/USRP devices

Hello,

I’ve been searching a lot about SDR and USRP devices to purchase. All I
need is a board with a receiver port (transmitter is not important for
now)
and it’s necessary to be compatible with Gnuradio. There are some
options,
but I don’t have experiency or enough knowledge to choose one of them (I
don’t know the brands, if they are reliable, etc).

I found RTL2838U/R820T2. Is it good? What are the other boards that you
know? Sorry about the questions, but I’m kind of new here.

Hi Pedro,

You will, as for any device, need to figure out what you need,
specification-wise. I’m obviously a bit biased, but no one else might
even be able to help you unless you wrote some numbers: frequencies
you’re interested in, bandwidth you want to sample at once, stability,
available interfaces, cost range etc.

Best regards,
Marcus

Am 17. August 2015 20:13:38 MESZ, schrieb Pedro Gabriel A.
[email protected]:

Marcus,

Below $120 is okay for me. Actually, the features are not important for
me
now, because I just want to simulate a Cognitive Radio without a lot of
details. I just wanna see it working to study and learn about this
process.
Like I said, it’s important to have a receiver port and be compatible
with
Gnuradio.

I saw that Antony asked about this on Ruby Forum (it seems he has the
same
interests, but no one could help him, so I came here to the mailing
list).

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Pedro Gabriel A.

the features are not important for me now
Then you can literally buy a rock. It has pretty bad reception, and all
receivers built with rocks have a 50% bit error rate. (just kidding)

SDR peripherals are technical equipment. There has to be some
specification of what you need. Like Bandwidth. Make yourself acquinted
with the parameters I listed in my last email, and what they mean. Then
you will surely come to some conclusion of what you need.

I just want to simulate a Cognitive Radio without a lot of details
CR doesn’t specify what you actually want to do at all, technically.
For simulation you’d not need any hardware at all - so maybe you’d want
to specify more closely what you want to do!

Antony asked about this on Ruby Forum
For people finding this later on via Google: This is NOT ruby forum.
Ruby forum is nothing but a bad interface to the GNU Radio mailing
list archives, which you can find at lists.gnu.org, and an even worse
implementation of a mailing list client. You’re doing it right by using
email to communicate with us!
Also, there’s a lot of Mails going through this mailing list, so I don’t
know which Antony or which email you are referring to.

Best regards,
Marcus

Marcus,
So everyone is thinking it: Show a little discuss-gnuradio love and set
up an educational one time group buy. I have had SDR envy for some
time; stuck with RTL/Hermes/Funcube, when what I really need is some new
Ettus hardware. It NEVER shows up on Ebay it seems.
Think how many less “I can’t get gnuradio to work with ; can’t you guys do this for me on this discussion list”
Greg

[...]

Buy a RTL dongle, since they’re almost free. If it doesn’t do what you
want, then you’ll know more about what you want.

Jeff