Schema.dump chokes on RAW type


#1

I haven’t seen anyone mention this yet.

The tail end of the migration process is a call to schema.dump. Our
primary keys are uuids and these choke schema.dump on both oracle and
postgres. The latter fails silently (skips three tables) while the
former complains about the RAW(16) in each of the three tables.

Anyone had a similar experience?


#2

On Oct 8, 8:29 pm, Rob S. removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:

I haven’t seen anyone mention this yet.

The tail end of the migration process is a call to schema.dump. Our
primary keys are uuids and these choke schema.dump on both oracle and
postgres. The latter fails silently (skips three tables) while the
former complains about the RAW(16) in each of the three tables.

Anyone had a similar experience?

If you are using stuff the ruby schema dumper does not understand you
may just have to switch the schema dumper format to :sql (in
environment.rb), although this does tend to kill cross database
compatibility.

Fred


#3

Frederick C. wrote:

On Oct 8, 8:29�pm, Rob S. removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:

If you are using stuff the ruby schema dumper does not understand you
may just have to switch the schema dumper format to :sql (in
environment.rb), although this does tend to kill cross database
compatibility.

Fred

OK, I’ll look into that. Thank


#4

Rob S. wrote:

Frederick C. wrote:

On Oct 8, 8:29�pm, Rob S. removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:

If you are using stuff the ruby schema dumper does not understand you
may just have to switch the schema dumper format to :sql (in
environment.rb), although this does tend to kill cross database
compatibility.

Fred

OK, I’ll look into that. Thank

Setting ‘config.active_record.schema_format = :sql’ in environment.rb
appears to have turned dump off altogether. Was that the expected
result?


#5

On 8 Oct 2008, at 21:41, Rob S. wrote:

may just have to switch the schema dumper format to :sql (in
environment.rb), although this does tend to kill cross database
compatibility.

Fred

OK, I’ll look into that. Thank

Setting ‘config.active_record.schema_format = :sql’ in environment.rb
appears to have turned dump off altogether. Was that the expected
result?

Yes. Instead db/development.sql (if you are doing this in the
development environment) is populated. IIRC it’s not automatically
updated after migrations have run.

Fred


#6

Frederick C. wrote:

On 8 Oct 2008, at 21:41, Rob S. wrote:

may just have to switch the schema dumper format to :sql (in
environment.rb), although this does tend to kill cross database
compatibility.

Fred

OK, I’ll look into that. Thank

Setting ‘config.active_record.schema_format = :sql’ in environment.rb
appears to have turned dump off altogether. Was that the expected
result?

Yes. Instead db/development.sql (if you are doing this in the
development environment) is populated. IIRC it’s not automatically
updated after migrations have run.

Fred

Fred, Thanks, I’m not seeing anything but the same dud schema.rb being
generated so I’m still doing something wrong (using rake db:schema:dump)