Save/Load VM State

Hello everyone,

I coming to you with a probably uncommon question. I wonder if there is a way, either for Ruby(YARV) or mruby, to dump the entire state of the virtual machine to a file and then at another time restore the state from that file.

I know that Ruby can dump objects into files using Marshal module but that is not what I am looking for.

Its more about the VM state including current stack memory, heap memory, instruction pointer, stack pointer, fiber states, etc. Basically like a snapshot but with the addition that it can be restored from that snapshot and continue to run as if nothing happened in between.

I guess the answer is no unless you know the Ruby source code so good that you could write your own VM which I am not. There is the RubyVM module which already offers a lot of things but it seems also not what I am looking for. Since I didn’t find anything using google or in the docs, I though before giving up I ask here just in case.

Thanks to everyone who is taking the time reading this.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs