Sampling with multiple USRP N210s with one host computer

Hi Everyone,

I recently discovered that Ettus offer a way of synchronizing up the
eight
USRPs with the following clock distribution system:

https://www.ettus.com/product/details/OctoClock-G
https://www.ettus.com/product/details/OctoClock-G

Out of curiosity, how would one be able to connect and sample with eight
separate USRPs with one host computer. Would you need eight separate
ethernet ports? That seems like more than what a typical motherboard
would
be able to handle.

Or can the USRPs all be connected to a server, which can be individually
accessed through the host computer?

Understanding how to do this will be extremely beneficial in order to
gather
some ideas for a project.

Thank you very much in advance,
Rob

http://gnuradio.4.n7.nabble.com/Sampling-with-multiple-USRP-N210s-with-one-host-computer-tp44502.html

There are lots of different ways. One example would be to simply
connect
them all to a switch, along with your host. Assuming the aggregate
bandwidth doesn’t exceed what the host’s network card or switch can
handle
you’ll be fine. You could also, as you mentioned, have a single host
with
8 network interfaces, this is completely possible.

Tim

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 4:54 PM, rmsrms1987 [email protected]nvalid
wrote:

ethernet ports? That seems like more than what a typical motherboard would
Rob

Hi Rob,

I am not sure about eight, but my setup has 3 USRPs. All the USRPs and
my
host are connected to the same Gig-Ethernet switch.

If you feel that your USRP-to-Host networking bandwidth is the
bottleneck,
maybe you could try running your wireless experiments over a thinner
channel to reduce the sampling rate, and hence, the data transmitted
between the USRP and host.

Good luck.

Aditya

On 10/31/2013 04:54 PM, rmsrms1987 wrote:

ethernet ports? That seems like more than what a typical motherboard would

You could have all of them on a single port and a 1GiGe switch,
depending on aggregate sample rate.

But another thing to be concerned about is how much processing your
computer can handle from 8 sample streams.

There are also quad-port 1GiGe cards available out there.

and cheap switches with a couple of 10G ports and 24 1G ports from folks
like Dell.

I have a PC with two PCIe express cards each of which has four Ethernet
connections. I connect 6 USRP N210 to them. For shorter transmissions,
like 80000 samples, I can do 25Msamp/sec on all simultaneously. But I
have issues with latencies. I am using UHD driver version 3.3.2 still. I
spent two weeks trying to upgrade a year ago - but it became insanely
slow. I can’t say for sure that I didn’t do a mistake. I have a feeling
that it has something to with long turn around times in my system (going
from TX to RX …).
BR/
Per

[[email protected]id] on behalf of rmsrms1987
[[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:54 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Sampling with multiple USRP N210s with one
[...]