Same partial different results

Hey everyone.

I’m using a partial 3 times in my applications.html.erb file. When the
index is loaded everything works exactly like it should. (the partial
contains a collection_select with prompts). If i goto the show action
the options for the collection select seem to vanish. IE no prompt
when rendered.

I’ve removed everything from the show.html.erb and def show action
just incase there was some sort of run in. But there isn’t, it seems
to just be a rendering problem.

Any ideas?

The partial:
Select <%= box %>: <%= collection_select(“vehicle”, box, list, box,
box,
{:prompt => “Search by #{box}”, :selected =>
selected },
{:onchange => "#{remote_function(:url => {:action
=> “update_dropdowns”},
:with =>
"‘current_id=’+id+

‘&current_value=’+value+

‘&fields=’+

‘year=’+$(vehicle_year).value+’,’+

‘make=’+$(vehicle_make).value+’,’+

‘model=’+$(vehicle_model).value")}"}) %>

So it turns out it’s not just the partial. Any dropdown select i ad to
that page will not properly display :prompt. Now I have an ajax update
method so If i change the select all selects are reloaded. And as soon
as I change one they all act accordingly with prompt displayed
properly.

So it seems only the inital page load is messing up the rendering.

Anyone have any ideas?

Even a method to force reload that container on load so it would
properly adjust would be decent.

On 7 February 2010 23:19, brianp [email protected] wrote:

So it turns out it’s not just the partial. Any dropdown select i ad to
that page will not properly display :prompt. Now I have an ajax update
method so If i change the select all selects are reloaded. And as soon
as I change one they all act accordingly with prompt displayed
properly.

So it seems only the inital page load is messing up the rendering.

Two suggestions, firstly have a look at the html of the page (View,
Page Source, or similar, in browser) and see if the prompt is there.
If it is then copy and paste the code into the w3c html validator at
http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input and see if there are any
errors.

Colin

Hey Colin,
thanks for the reply.

I did think to check for that and un-fortunately the html for the
prompt (first ) is not generated at all. It immediately skips
to the first object in the list, just as if the prompt wasn’t there at
all.

Just found my problem.

<%= collection_select(:Vehicle, box, list, box, box,

I previously had :vehicle. Which I’m assuming wasn’t actually being
recognized as Model type due to case. Weird that it still functioned
on the index but broke on the show.

Either way it works now. Weird little glitch I guess. I could
understand if it didn’t work at all lol.

Thanks for the suggestion Colin!

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs