Same class, different module

Here’s a small snippet of code I’m trying to hack on:

module Mod1
class A
def meth
puts “in Mod 1”

class B
def initialize
A.new.meth

module Mod2
class A < Mod1::A
def meth
put “in Mod 2”

class B < Mod1::B

p Mod1::B.new
p Mod2::B.new

caleb@tcdevel ~ $ ruby testit.rb
in Mod 1
#Mod1::B:0xb7c888dc
in Mod 1
#Mod2::B:0xb7c88508

What I’m trying to accomplish is having B reference A but in the same
module
its currently in. I can accomplish this by redefining the initialize
method
again in Mod2::B, such that it looks exactly the same as Mod1::B, but
I’m
hoping to find a trick to avoid having to do that.

Any thoughts?

Caleb

Caleb T. wrote:

Here’s a small snippet of code I’m trying to hack on:

What I’m trying to accomplish is having B reference A but in the same
module
its currently in. I can accomplish this by redefining the initialize
method
again in Mod2::B, such that it looks exactly the same as Mod1::B, but
I’m
hoping to find a trick to avoid having to do that.

Any thoughts?

You could use #const_get, possibly, since a method call is dynamic.

Caleb

module M1
class A; def foo; “foo”; end; end
end

module M2
A = M1::A
class A; def bar; “bar”; end; end
end

a = M2::A

a.foo #=> “foo”
a.bar #=> “bar”

Is that what you meant?

However, note that:

M2::A == M1::A

“Caleb T.” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]