Run-time error while executing a simple flowgraph in GNU Radio companion

Hey all,

Just to start experimenting with GNU Radio and companion I just created
a simple flowgraph consisting of a Signal Source Block and a WX GUI FFT
Sink connected to it, to see if the diagram will be generated. I get a
run-time error, namely:

Executing: “/home/nikos/top_block.py”

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/nikos/top_block.py”, line 12, in
from gnuradio import wxgui
File
“/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/wxgui/init.py”,
line 32, in
from wxgui_swig import *
File
“/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/wxgui/wxgui_swig.py”,
line 28, in
_wxgui_swig = swig_import_helper()
File
“/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/wxgui/wxgui_swig.py”,
line 24, in swig_import_helper
_mod = imp.load_module(’_wxgui_swig’, fp, pathname, description)
ImportError: libgnuradio-wxgui-3.7.6.1.so.0.0.0: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

What could be wrong here?

Thank you,
Nikos

Hi Nikos,

you said earlier you were able to use WX widgets. Did you do something
in between that and your system now not being able to find the
libgnuradio-wxgui library?

Greetings,
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

What I meant by “able to use”, was that I was able to find the blocks
using the search facility and put the block to a flowgraph. I had not
actually tried to build and execute a flowgraph containing any of these
blocks, and now that I tried this was the result.

Greetings,

On 03/18/2015 12:34 PM, NIKOS BIZANIS wrote:
[...]

Ah well, in that case: it seems like you’ve successfully installed the
block definition XML files to a place GRC can find them, but that does
not apply to the library you’re missing now. If “sudo ldconfig” doesn’t
help, make sure that
make install

inside your gnuradio/build directory actually is successful. If you get
errors about missing permissions, you might want to run the command via
sudo:
sudo make install

You might also want to have a look at
gnuradio/build/install_manifest.txt, which should list all the files
that were installed. look for a line containing the library you’re
missing – where did it get installed to? Where did, for example,
gnuradio-companion get installed to? Is that the same as what “which
gnuradio-companion” is telling you?

Best regards,
Marcus

After running ldconfig I still get an error, but a somewhat different
one:

Warning: failed to XInitThreads()
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/nikos/top_block.py”, line 105, in
tb = top_block()
File “/home/nikos/top_block.py”, line 56, in init
self.GetWin(),
File
“/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/gr/hier_block2.py”,
line 93, in getattr
return getattr(self._impl, name)
AttributeError: ‘top_block_sptr’ object has no attribute ‘GetWin’

Is it still the case that I am missing some library, or it is installed
elsewhere than it should?

Thank you again,

From:
discuss-gnuradio-bounces+n.bizanis=removed_email_address@domain.invalidmailto:discuss-gnuradio-bounces+n.bizanis=removed_email_address@domain.invalid
[discuss-gnuradio-bounces+n.bizanis=removed_email_address@domain.invalidmailto:discuss-gnuradio-bounces+n.bizanis=removed_email_address@domain.invalid]
on behalf of Marcus M.
[[email protected]mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 12:48 PM
To: [email protected]mailto:[email protected]
[...]

Discuss-gnuradio mailing list
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]

As an update, I realized that in the “Options” block, “Generate Options”
was not set to WX GUI so i set it. Now the WX GUI FFT Sink opens the Top
Block, but nothing is displayed there, I can’t see any plot and it
quickly fails. The only error message that I get is:

Warning: failed to XInitThreads()
Using Volk machine: avx_32_mmx

Any ideas?

Thank you again,
Nikos

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 12:48 PM
To: [email protected]mailto:[email protected]
[...]

It seems you solved the issue yourself.
Hm, that is strange. You’re not running this via SSH or something of the
like?

Greetings,
Marcus

That is a good sign! This looks like you’re using WX widgets, but you
haven’t set the build options to WX GUI (could be “No GUI” or “QT GUI”)
in the options block in your GRC flow graph.

Greetings,
Marcus

Yes, that was the reason I was getting the run-time error. I did set the
build options to WX GUI in the options block (it was set to QT GUI)
previously, and now it runs. The problem is that when the window opens I
can’t see any FFT plot, it is just a blank window, and I get the
message:

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 12:48 PM
To: [email protected]mailto:[email protected]
[...]

No I am running it in my machine, using a VM in VMWare player.

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 12:48 PM
To: [email protected]mailto:[email protected]
[...]

Hm, then the empty window usually indicates there’s not enough samples
that have reached your graphical sink at all, or there’s something odd
with OpenGL in your VM.

Well I made some tests and I can verify that there seems to be nothing
wrong with OpenGL in my VM, so I don’t have a clue why I can’t see any
results.

From:
discuss-gnuradio-bounces+n.bizanis=removed_email_address@domain.invalidmailto:discuss-gnuradio-bounces+n.bizanis=removed_email_address@domain.invalid
[discuss-gnuradio-bounces+n.bizanis=removed_email_address@domain.invalidmailto:discuss-gnuradio-bounces+n.bizanis=removed_email_address@domain.invalid]
on behalf of NIKOS BIZANIS
[[email protected]mailto:[email protected]]

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 12:48 PM
To: [email protected]mailto:[email protected]
[...]

Can you not try the QT sinks?
If you want to stick with wxgui,
You can try the old trick of disabling OpenGL. Make and edit
~/.gnuradio/config.conf and add the lines:

[wxgui]
style = nongl

Method courtesy of Tom,
Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] WX GUI Scope frozen and error-msg gr_vmcircbuf_de.

Greetings,
Marcus

Well I actually discovered that the Python OpenGL bindings were non
functional for some reason, so my solution was just to install the
python-opengl package, and now it works perfectly. Thanks a lot for
pointing me at the right direction once again Marcus!

Best regards,
Nikos