I did some Googling, but I didn’t see anything about this particular
issue. It seems that IronRuby (the latest release from rubyforge)
ignores the RUBYLIB environment variable, leaving $: set to the default.
The only way to add local paths seems to be to use the -I command line
arguments. While this works, I’m surprised that RUBYLIB isn’t
supported. I was pleasantly surprised when I installed JRuby and fired
it up to test things and noticed that I didn’t have to do anything
different than in MRE to have it find files.
I didn’t see any issues about this on CodePlex, but I wanted to check
before I entered one.